Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Student
Message 1 of 3 (8,019 Views)

LaserJet 1018 - everything seems fine, but it won't print

I have a LaserJet 1080 attached to a Windows 7 x64 machine. A couple weeks ago, it started having problems. It printed out the first 5 pages of a job, then stopped, and after that every job resulted in those same first 5 pages, and nothing more, even though the job that kept printing did not show in the print queue. 

I figured something was messed up with Windows, so I replaced the machine with one having a fresh Win 7 x64 install. Now when I print, the document appears in the printer queue for a fraction of a second, first as spooling, then as "printing" and then it disappears from the queue. Nothing ever prints, and there lights on the machine indicate no problem. The print and scan doctor says everything is fine.

I found a message that described a similar situation. There the cure was to restart the printer spooler. I tried that, but no change.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Message 2 of 3 (8,006 Views)

Re: LaserJet 1018 - everything seems fine, but it won't print

[ Edited ]

Did you actually install the printer's drivers or are you using the plug-and-play feature? Sometimes when the printer is randomly printing when it wants to, I have found that is usually related to a USB install.  Is that how this printer is connected?  

The fix for that is to go to the printer's icon in the Devices and Printers folder, right-click and go into Printer Properties or just Properties (depending on if you have the actual driver or not determines which one you select).  Under the Ports tab, you can deselect to turn off Bidirectional Support.  If that is what is causing this to happen, that step will fix it.

If that doesn't work or is not an option, here is a document that includes everything for you to try:

--Can't Print--

Let me know if any of these links help you out or not.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
Honor Student
Message 3 of 3 (7,747 Views)

Re: LaserJet 1018 - everything seems fine, but it won't print

[ Edited ]

Kudos!  This seems to work, so far.  After following the steps, I entered three print jobs (10, 11, 11 pages each), hooked up the printer to the computer, and all printed.  Then I entered a 64-page job and it printed without interruption.  Previously the big job may not start at all, or maybe print a few pages then stop and the job would no longer show up in the printer queu.  Thanks again.  (I have an HP Laserjet 1018 and Windows 7 OS). 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation