Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Top Student
Message 1 of 3 (3,111 Views)
Accepted Solution

LaserJet Enterprise M600 Series Printer (601) with custom media tray (cb527a)

I have a custom piece of paper (4.13" x 8.5") that will print just fine from Tray 1.

I purchased the custom media tray (cb527a) given that its specification sheet says it can print dimensions of 102~105mm to 170mm by 140mm to 282mm.

I've been unsuccessful in printing a 4.13" x 8.5" sheet of paper from this custom tray (Tray 2).  The printer is confused when I set up the guides in the positions for this odd size (it's in portrait mode, no different than tray 1). It seems to think the sizing is 6.69" x 11.1".

This custom media tray can take all sorts of ISO sizes as well as common card sizes ranging from 3x5 to 5x8.. It seems especially overzealous for a product labeled as "enterprise" to prevent custom paper sizes when the dimensions are within its specification range...

If you've got this working, it would be a tremendous help if you could lend your expertise to me.   I've tried configuring the tray from the device console and via the web administration.. the HP Universal PS driver doesn't seem to offer any help either...

0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Re: LaserJet Enterprise M600 Series Printer (601) with custom media tray (cb527a)

.. I found the answer..

Alas, the User Manual (HP doc: c02677203) has crushed my dreams on Page 73/74.

Short version, it's not possible to print my 4.25" x 8.5" document via the custom media tray in tray 2.  The minimum custom size for Tray 2 is 5.83" x 8.27".  So very disappointed for a product labeled as "Enterprise".

View solution in context
Top Student
Message 2 of 3 (3,106 Views)

Re: LaserJet Enterprise M600 Series Printer (601) with custom media tray (cb527a)

.. I found the answer..

Alas, the User Manual (HP doc: c02677203) has crushed my dreams on Page 73/74.

Short version, it's not possible to print my 4.25" x 8.5" document via the custom media tray in tray 2.  The minimum custom size for Tray 2 is 5.83" x 8.27".  So very disappointed for a product labeled as "Enterprise".

Top Student
Message 3 of 3 (2,645 Views)

I've run into this situation as well.  Our media size is 4.25" x 11".

Very annoying to discover that the printer will only support a minimum width of 5.83" in tray 2, when the custom media tray (CB527A) can hold media down to 4" wide.

Revisiting this today, after updating the firmware.

If I load 4.25x11" paper and configure the tray size to "Any Custom" (or "Any Size), when I print a 4.25x11" document from Microsoft Word (2010 on Windows 7), the printer will request "Load Tray 1: 4.25 x 11.00 inches" with no option to select tray 2.  This occurs when the 4.25x11" size is added as a custom paper size within the printing preferences for the printer (within the control panel, hardware and sound, devices and printers).

If I remove this custom paper size from within the printer preferences, I can specify a 4.25x11" paper size within Microsoft Word, but when I go to print, the default letter (8.5x11") size will be indicated within the settings group. When I print, and at the printer tray 2 is set to "Any Custom", the printer will prompt "Load Tray 2: Plain, Letter", at which point I can press OK at the printer twice to select "Tray 2: Plain, Any Custom", but after the first page, the printer will report "Size mismatch in tray 2" (display) or "41.03.02 Unexpected size in Tray 2" (web interface).  This is where I got stuck almost a year ago.

Today, if at the printer I change tray 2 from "Any Custom" to "Any Size", the print job goes through, without any interaction or fuss at all.

This is what we were trying to achieve almost a year ago, since tray 1 only has a capacity of 100-sheets (what we've been using), where the custom media tray has a capacity of 400-sheets, and our print batches are over 1000-sheets.

Looks like the "Any Size" for tray 2 (and greater) was added at firmware 20131122; a month after I stopped fussing with HP on this topic.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL40883/lj-114170-5/readme_ljM600_series_fw_2302908_435019...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation