Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
LaserJet Pro MFP M426fdw
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Wanted to share something with anyone else having this problem.  I moved my office to a temporary new location & immediately had problems with the printer.  Was able to set it up to scan but it would not print.  And when I would try to do anything like a diagnostic test or print a configuration report, the printer would give a "49 Service Error" and would restart.  I spent an hour researching.  Discovered the printer likes to be plugged directly into the wall & not a surge protector so did that.  I uninstalled & reinstalled.  Restarted the router.  I did all the normal things & then threw in the towel and contacted HP support.  On chat with a technician for about 90 minutes where she took control of the printer & we tried all kinds of other new things.  At the end, I was advised my printer was suddenly defective and I needed to return it for a warranty replacement.

Given that I didn't have time to be without a printer, I did more research and found in another printer forum that on some wireless providers these printers have a problem with the IPv6 setting.  So all I did was go to the printer's screen:  Setup - Network Setup - Network Services - IPv6 and changed it from "off" to "on".  Printer started working immediately.  So I spent over 2 hours of time on my own and with a technician for something that literally took less than 2 minutes.  I suggest if you are having a printer issue after getting a new wireless connection or router or whatever that you try the same.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for sharing.

That is an unusual solution but glad you got it working.  For me the 49 Service Error usually a bad print job that can be resolved by swapping the print drivers to one that can better process the job.

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

Please mark anything that is helpful with a Kudo.
When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Thanks for sharing.

That is an unusual solution but glad you got it working.  For me the 49 Service Error usually a bad print job that can be resolved by swapping the print drivers to one that can better process the job.

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

Please mark anything that is helpful with a Kudo.
When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.

HP Recommended

Turning on IPv6 worked for me, too. I had turned it off because when scanning from the document feeder, the process halts due to a "communication error". Turning off IPv6 solved that problem. Weeks later, my printer would not print. The printer control panel would get stuck on "printing document" and the queue would say that the job was currently printing even though it wasn't. The only thing that worked was to keep turning the printer off then on, and sometimes I could get one job to print. I had tried every other contortion: rebooting routers, resetting the print system, removing and reinstalling drivers.

HP Recommended

Gracias, tenias toda la razon.

La solucion propuesta sirve!!!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.