Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
LaserJet P1102w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I cannot complete the installation because it does not recognize that the printer is connected to the computer. It says that it is waiting for me to connect the printer, but it is connected and turned on. I have tried the wireless and USB options of installation and neither works.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @Frank19,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I understand that you're unable to install your HP LaserJet P1102w Printer. I will certainly do my best to help you. 

I would try these steps:

• Unplug the USB cable 
  • Reboot the computer and printer
  • Run the installer again and plug-in USB cable only when it prompts you to.

I would try the steps within these guides, HP LaserJet Printers - 'Printer is offline' and Does Not Print (Windows 😎, 'Offline' Printer Status Message Displays (Windows 10) and HP PCs - Troubleshooting USB connections (Windows 10, 8).

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. Good Luck! Smiley Happy

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

I tried that, but it didn't work. I was able to install it on my laptop, which has Windows 8.1. It doesn't work on my desktop with Windows 10.

HP Recommended

Hi @Frank19,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Did you try these guides? One of them should lead to the root cause.

What is the error message you're receiving?

Any details you can provide would be appreciated.

If you need further assistance, please let me know the following information above.

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Hi @Frank19,

Here's another useful guide for your printer, HP LaserJet Pro P1102w - Wireless Printer Setup.

I hope this helps! 🙂 

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

After I start the software installation, it goes until it gets to where it says, "Waiting for you to connect the device." It stops there. It doesn't go farther because it never detects that the printer is connected. The printer is plugged in and turned on. All connections are secure. The USB drive works with other devices. The printer connects to my laptop, which has Windows 8.1.

I have looked at the links provided and they don't seem helpful because the device is never detected. Can I call someone or get help via chat?

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi @Frank19,

I need to ensure you're taking the necessary precautions.

Important! The software will not detect the printer during the installation, if the USB cable is already plugged into your computer when you launched the installer.

Did you follow the steps within this document, HP PCs - Troubleshooting USB connections (Windows 10, 8).?  

Please ensure to follow these steps:

• Windows Update: Running Windows Update checks for operating system updates required for your computer. Go to Windows Update (in English) and follow the on-screen steps to check for updates, and opt in on all recommended and optional driver updates. If the device still does not work, go to the next step.
  • Microsoft System Restore: If the USB device was previously working, then subsequently became unusable, try Microsoft System Restore to go back to a time prior to when the device failed. Refer to Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 10, 😎 for more information. If the device still does not work, go to the next step.
  • Device Manager: You might be able to troubleshoot the problem using the Device Manager
  • Uninstalling USB Root Hubs: Uninstalling USB Root Hubs forces the system to reinstall the root hubs next time the computer is started. Use the following steps to uninstall USB Root Hubs:

In the Device Manager window find Universal Serial Bus controllers, look for entries for Mass Storage deviceUSB Printing SupportHP LaserJet P1102w Printer. Right-click on each of them, then select Uninstall or Delete.

Once completed, reboot the computer without the USB cable plugged in.

IMPORTANT! Run the installer again and plug-in USB cable only when it prompts you to.

Here's the link to HP Support Optionshttps://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp/product/HP-LaserJet-Pro-P1102-Printer-series/4110394/model/4...

Simply complete the form and it should connect you to an HP Support Representative.

Contacting HP for service in all countries/regions except Asia Pacific.
First, go to Check your product warranty to check your printer warranty status, and then go to Contact HP Support to find an authorized service dealer or to schedule a repair.
Repair fees might apply for out-of-warranty printers.
What you can do, is use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:
Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number
Case number and phone number appear.

Hope this answers your question. Thank you for posting!

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I was having this same problem. I figured out that it was because I had plugged the printer in before I had started the installation program, so the printer was already saved in my computer. I had to go into my setting and tell my computer to forget the device. After I did this the installation went smoothly. No need to reboot the computer or restore to a previous time (though technically that would work too).

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.