Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

We have a HP LaserJet Pro 400 M401N that is 27 days out of warranty. Suddenly last week it started this "Jam in cartridge area. Open door and clear jam" error. I have not luck with just clearing the jam. Wondering if anyone knows what I should be looking at inside as far as replacing some of the parts to get this running again?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi Hembel,

Welcome to the HP Forums! :generic:

I am sorry, but to get your issue more exposure I would suggest posting it, in the commercial forums since this is a commercial product. You can do this at HP Enterprise Business Community.

Hope this information helps, and have a great day! :generic:

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the help. I did post this on the business forum site.

It was that I needed to replace the "RM1-8806-000CN   Registration roller assembly - For use with LaserJet Pro 400 M401 printer series" once I did that all was solved.

HP Recommended
We have a customer with about 100 of these models. At least 15 of them are showing the same code with no visible jam. The issue we found was not even related to the cartridge area. It issue is the spring on the exit flag of the fuser is wound too loosely. Sounds odd, bit once addressed it, the error never returned. Remove the back cover. Disconnect all of the wire to the main board. Remove the plastic wire guide. You will now see the exit flag. This is the tricky part. You will meed a small flat tip screwdriver and a hook. With the screwdriver wrap the spring over the top of the flag and grab it underneath with your hook. Pull it over it's original resting place and slightly bend the tip (end) of the spring down so it can't unwrap. Re-assemble the back. The issue should not return now. It's much easier than it sounds. I hope the helps
HP Recommended

I had this message this morning after only around 900 pages being printed.  Out of warranty so done the strip down to check spring, that was ok but there was a build up of tonner just infront of the flag, got that off with tweezers and screwdriver, dont let it foul the printer internals and hey presto message gone.  Its fidderly job but not hard at all, only need a phillips screwdriver and tweezers.  Google a service manual and that will help you get covers off etc.  Done rush and if your getting frustrated just walk away, have a cuppa and come back to it.

HP Recommended

Bob - Do you have any images of this error. We have the similar problem and it would help to see the exit flag spring. Thanks, Peter

HP Recommended
Sorry, I no longer have photos of that. The flag is easy to find. Remove the back cover. Unplug all of the wires in the motherboard. Remove the wires and the wire guide. You will see the flag sitting right there on the back of the fuser. You see this spring resting on the piece of plastic. Take the end of the spring and wrap it over and around and grab it from underneath. (I use a bent paperclip to grab it. ) Set it back to its original resting place and with a small flat tip screwdriver bend the tip of that spring downwards so it will not come on wrapped. Reassemble the printer and you are done. I hope this helps.
HP Recommended

I tried the suggested spring tightening method and it did not resolve the issue I was having with the M401 Constantly jamming. I have to disagree with the statement that it "isn't a problem with the cartridge area." It seems as though the toner cartridge is not moving at all. I have replaced the toner cartridge with a new "remanufactured" cartridge and it still does the same thing. I have also tried to install an OEM toner and that did not resolve the issue either. The machine jams right after registration and right before entering the toner cartridge. I have included images for the spring procedure that did not help. Flag location.gifsensorflag.gifI am still under the impression that this is a problem with the toner cartridge but have been unable to prove it. 

HP Recommended
We had a client with about 100 of these machines. It seems the error massage you are getting is not related to the cartridge area. What I found is that the spring on the exit flag of the fuser is wound a little too loosely. Follow these steps and this might resolve your problem (it worked on about 30 of the machines I've work on with no call backs).
Remove the two side covers and the back cover. Disconnect all of the wire on the controller board that run through the wire guide. Remove 1 screw and remove the guide. You will see the exit flag. Take a flat tip screwdriver and wrap the spring one turn tighter (over the top). Use a spring hook or a paperclip that is bent at the end and grab the spring from below the holder. Pull it back to it original resting place and bend the tip of the spring a bit so it won't unwrap. Re-assembly the machine in reverse order and then run test prints. This should work for you.
HP Recommended

Thank you Steelhorse, I appreciate your blind copy and paste of the previous post. If you even bothered to take the time to read my post, you would clearly be able to see that I removed the rear cover and double wound the spring. I also bothered to take photos of the sensor you are suggesting is "wound a little too loosely." It didn't fix a thing. The paper isn't passing through the toner cartridge, period. (At least in my case.) Clearly indicating that this would more that likely be an issue with the cartridge or the cartridge motor/gears. But hey, thanks again for reposting.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.