Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

We have only had this printer less than a year and I am getting a 79 SERVICE ERROR.  I have power cycled, unplugged and all the normal tries... no go.  It will print the menu map but will not accept a print job from a user.

I try to get to the printer page on HP.com but it errors out so I cannot get to any of the support docs for the model.  Anyone out there have a suggestion?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi All,
I found and would like to share one of the root cause of the error in my network.It is caused by unsuccessful printing process of one or more computers in the network. I could have fixed the error 79 with the following few steps.
1.Turned off power of the Printer
2.Check and Remove printing process from every computer that can have access for the printer in the network.
3.In domain network, you cannot cancel the printing process check the owner in "See What's Printing" box
4.Then log in with that account and try to remove
5.If you cannot still cancel the printing process you have to remove and add the  printer again.

After doing this steps on every computer, having access to the printer, in the network, you can switch on the printer and it should be working well.

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
HP Recommended
I assume this is connected to a network. If so disconnect the network cable and boot up the printer. I assume it comes to ready. Now attach the network cable and see if you can change the tcp/ip setting of the printer. If you can change the setting to a free address and load the printer as a local tcp/ip printer on one computer. Use the universal pcl5 driver and then see if that computer can print to the printer. If it can you have driver issues. You can also try to upgrade the firmware as 79 errors are similar to 49 errors and can be firmware related. The first thing to do is call hp since the unit should still be under warranty. Have them work with you over the phone to get it up and running. If out of warranty try what is suggested.
HP Recommended

I ran into this same problem with the LaserJet M401dn. I noticed this issue occured when the printer was hooked up to the PC via USB. I followed HPs steps on trying to fix this problem and needless to say, their steps weren't worth a hill of beans. The printer is working now now via these steps that I'm going to list.

1) Restart the printer with only the power cord being attached. If you're STILL getting the 79 error service, then it is most likely a firmware issue. Luckily for me it wasn't. The printer started right up as it should.

2) If your printer starts right up, attach an Ethernet cable from the printer to your router/switch/DSL or cable modem.

3) Select the Network icon on your printer screen and check to see if your printer has authenticated to the network and lists an IP address. If you're on a home network the IP address will show something like 192.168.x.xx. 

4) Once connected to the network you'll run a firmware update. Click on your Settings icon, select LaserJet Update, Check for Updates Now. Continue by selecting the update and download and install.

After the firmware installs, at this point you might be able to get the printer to work by hooking the USB cable back up to the printer. I on the other hand did  a couple other steps before hooking the printer back up.

5) I installed all of the Windows Updates (critical), updated Java

6) Uninstalled the HP printer software for the M401dn and restarted the PC

7) THIS STEP IS NOT FOR THOSE THAT AREN'T FAMILIAR WITH EDITING THE REGISTRY. If you have no knowledge of how to edit your registry, then PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT this. Have someone with knowledge do this step. I, nor HP can be held responsible for any mistakes that you make with this step. DO AT YOUR OWN RISK. In the registry I searched for Packard and deleted all Keys or entries that had M401 listed. DO NOT DELETE THE KEY IF IT DOESN'T LIST M401, as there are Hewlett-Packard printer drivers that are built into the operating system and they do show up in the registry.

I ran through the registry twice searching for any sign of the printer driver being installed. Restart the computer again.

😎 Reinstall the HP LaserJet Pro 400 M401 Printer Series PCL6 Print Driver that is relevant to your PC. (Sorry, I don't know how to deal with Macs.) DON'T download the Full Software and Drivers or the one WITHOUT the installer. Don't use the disc to install the drivers either. Just download the most recent version of the software from HPs website. Install the software and attach the printer when asked to do so. Hopefully you're golden at this point just like I was!

If for some reason this doesn't work for you, I would format your hard drive and reinstall Windows and all of your software. Apparently there is something within the registry or on your computer that is keeping the printer from working. I hope this helps you all out!

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem with our LaserJet Pro 400- I have done exactly the same suggestions and it has not worked-

Any other ideas?

Should I delete the printer and try to reload it? It is connected to our network in the store.

Thanks-

HP Recommended

we have around 100 of this hp laserjet pro 400 in our hospital, and we encounter this error always. This error was due to spool file which was too large for the printer memory to handle. try to clear all the spool file and reset the printer.. try also to install another printer driver, in our case, we tried lower printer driver (HP LaserJet plus).. too many problem with this model... driver installation, corrupted firmware.. and this 79 service error..

HP Recommended

hi guys i have the same problem. after power failuer on computer and printer. the printer always saya service error 79 and automaticly shutdown.

but i already solved it

1. remove data cable

2. power off the printer

3. remove your printer from your computer(control panel - device and printer)

4. delete printer driver - from control panel - administrative tools - printer management - choose all printer - right click the printer - click delete

5. plug cable data from printer

6. turn on printer

7. windows automaticly instal the driver(i'am using windows 7 pro)

sorry for bad english

Thanks

HP Recommended

seems to me to be a low or bad sensing toner cartridge.

HP Recommended
Good day! Today btive this same issue , where I found a machine with the print queue with a documneto locking the queue and then giving me the error 79 , turn the printer cancel all print queue documents , and be happy!
Note: If you have a large computer network without a print server will have high difficulty figuring out which machine is attached to the queue !
HP Recommended

Hi All,
I found and would like to share one of the root cause of the error in my network.It is caused by unsuccessful printing process of one or more computers in the network. I could have fixed the error 79 with the following few steps.
1.Turned off power of the Printer
2.Check and Remove printing process from every computer that can have access for the printer in the network.
3.In domain network, you cannot cancel the printing process check the owner in "See What's Printing" box
4.Then log in with that account and try to remove
5.If you cannot still cancel the printing process you have to remove and add the  printer again.

After doing this steps on every computer, having access to the printer, in the network, you can switch on the printer and it should be working well.

HP Recommended

Thank You!! Worked like a charm for my printer.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.