cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
waspen41
Just joined
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Laserjet 1200 running Win 7 home won't print more than 1 copy at a time

HP Recommended

I've just installed my Laserjet 1200 on a new Dell running Win7 home.  But it won't print more than 1 copy of a document regardless of how many I have indicated in Word, word perfect or any other software.  The printer works fine under XP but I can't solve this issue in Win7.  I appreciate any help.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Matti_Kurkela
Level 3
45 45 4 11
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The newer HP printer drivers tend to have the setting "Mopier mode" enabled by default. It means, when you want to print multiple copies of a print job, the driver will send just one copy of the job to the printer, and a command like "Here's the print job: now print N copies of it."

The problem with this is, it assumes that the printer has enough memory (usually, an integrated hard disk) to hold the complete print job. But the LaserJet 1200 probably hasn't: instead, it must process one page at a time, discarding the data of the previous page after it has been printed to make room for the next one. After printing one set of pages, it cannot print another since it has already discarded the print job data.

Once you disable the "Mopier mode" setting, the driver can function in two ways, depending on whether the "Collate copies" setting is selected or not. If it is not selected, the driver can tell the printer to print N copies of each page, while sending the data only once. This is something a LaserJet 1200 can easily do: once it has received the data for a particular page, it can easily crank out multiple copies of it without discarding the data in between. This is the fastest way to print multiple copies with a non-mopier-capable printer. The problem with this is, you'll first get all copies of page 1, then all copies of page 2, etc.

And if you enable the "Collate copies" setting while the "Mopier mode" is disabled, the driver just sends N copies of the print job data to the printer. That means the spool file of the print job will be much bigger, but modern computers usually have no problem with that. But if your printing speed is limited by the speed of the data transfer from computer to the printer (i.e. the printer is connected with a serial port or a non-ECP parallel port), the job will take much more time to complete.

0 Kudos
waspen41
Author
Just joined
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Thanks for your helpful reply. My only question is how do I disable the "Mopier mode"? I don't see that term when I access the printer information but will look again.
0 Kudos
mahamonkeymojo
2 2 0 1
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

to get to mopier mode

right click on the printer in devices and printers

choose printer properties

click on device settings tab

scroll to the last entry (Installable Options -->Mopier Mode) and disable

I also had to change this:

in printer properties

Advanced tab

change to print directly to printer

now it works like it used to before windows upgrade

tecnoman
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thank u mahamonkeymojo, u helped me to solve my proplem

0 Kudos
Duane_D
Retired
Retired
4,641 3,064 52 155
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. If you have any additional information, we recommend edit or start a new post. To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number) • Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A 2. Operating System installed (if applicable) • Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit 3. Error message (if any) • Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows 4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred • Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router. If you have any other questions about forum posting, please feel free to send me a private message! Thank you

I work on behalf of HP. I am a Moderator on the HP Support Forums.
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation