Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Intern
Intern
19 1 2
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Laserjet P2055DN "49 err 3D910C8"

When this printer is connected to the network via builtin Ethernet, within 30 seconds or so of initializing, it briefly flashes the message on the status panel "Printing document" and then immediately gives the error above and goes unresponsive. This happened after someone installed a coupon printing program on one of my networked computers, which also installed a toolbar and hijacked the home page. When he tried to use it to print a coupon, the printer flashed "Printing document" for about 10 minutes before I started trying to clear it. There was nothing in the print queue so I power cycled the printer, which is when the error came up. I have: Updated the firmware, cold booted the computer from which the coupon was printed and uninstalled the program and toolbar, and restarted the printer numerous times. The error only appears when the printer is connected to the network. If I leave it disconnected, the error never appears. Other posts around the Web  indicate that the formatting board might need to be replaced (or I might need to bake it in the oven for awhile), but I'm inclined to discount that possibility, given the circumstances under which the error will or will not appear. Any suggestions for where the printer might be trying to receive this ghost document and how to purge it?

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES
Highlighted
Master's Graduate
Master's Graduate
657 26 70
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hello, I have a quick question, are you able to connect the printer to a laptop directly? Or a machine that is not on the network of the hijacked coupon issue? I am wondering if you just might have something lurking around hidden on the network that is still got something from that program trying to print to the machine. Also, I would try and disconnect the workstation that originally started this issue, then connect the machine to the network and see if the error comes back. Usually with a 49 error code you are dealing with firmware update which you have done, or a corrupt file that is hitting the machine. I am not sure if my reply will help any but hope it helps point to a solution.

0 Kudos
Associate Dean Associate Dean
Associate Dean
7127 554 973
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

The first thing you want to do is disconnect the network cable and power on the printer. It should come to ready. Now here is where it gets tricky. On this printer there is a x button used to cancel a job. What you need to do is connect the ethernet cable and just keep pressing the x until you get a cancel job message on the display and quickly go to yes or whatever in attempt to cancel the job. If that does not work, then you need to check every computer on the network that is attached to this printer and find out which one has a job in the printq and delete.
0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
19 1 2
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thank you for the suggestion, David. I did manage to hit the X button so that I got to the cancelling job message, but then the printer just stayed stuck there. I haven't yet found a computer that still has a job in the print queue, but I will keep looking. I did manage to make the printer available by connecting it via USB to a computer and then sharing it, so at least people can print to it again.

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
19 1 2
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

This morning, I made sure the problem computer was turned off and disconnected from the network, and then turned the printer on. I still got the same error. I was able to attach the printer to a computer via USB and share it so that it works again. I feel you're on the right track that there is still something lurking. I will dig deeper into the problem computer to see if any part of the coupon program is still active and trying to send something to the printer.

0 Kudos
Associate Dean Associate Dean
Associate Dean
7127 554 973
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

If the problem computer was turned off and the printer still came up with the error then that computer is not the problem. Do you by chance have this printers controlled by a printserver. In other words when people attach to the printer via the network do they click on network printer to find it. If so you need to go to the print server since the job is most likely stuck in the q of the printserver.
0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
19 1 2
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I went onto the problem computer, ran regedit, and rooted out every reference to the coupon printing progam, then ran CCleaner for good measure, and the printer is fixed! Evil, evil coupon printing program. Thank you!

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation