cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
CascadiaHigh Tutor
Tutor
3 2 0 5
Message 1 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Latest HP software upgrade excludes non-HP ink cartridges

Officejet Pro 8610
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Beginning on 9/12/2016 for us, our Officjet 8610 started stating that our non-HP ink cartridges were "damaged"...  Yep, all four cartridges got mysteriously "damaged" at the same time.  This is a brand of cartridges we've been using forever, perfect print quality, never a problem.  HP, why do you keep doing this?  We DO NOT WANT to buy your $100 ink when the same quality is available for 1/5 the cost.  Please provide a workaround so we can keep using whatever ink we choose.

Thank you.

15 REPLIES 15
Provost
Provost
21074 20975 1537 3396
Message 2 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Print cartridge issues with new firmware.

HP Officejet Pro 8610, 8615, 8620, 8625, 8630 Printer Errors

http://inkjet411.com/?page_id=5769

0 Kudos
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
8735 7958 282 645
Message 3 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @CascadiaHigh

One option would be to return the inks to the place of purchase. If cost savings are a concern, have you considered using HP Instant Ink? With this program you can save up to 50% on the cost of ink. There are often promotions on to get additional months for free. More details on the eligible printers & countries in the link below...

www.hpinstantink.com

Thanks, Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
0 Kudos
CascadiaHigh Tutor
Tutor
3 2 0 5
Message 4 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Ciara, thank you for the reply.

HP Instant Ink is another sore subject.  4 cents per page at the lowest level, about 5 times what it costs us when we were using HP cartridges, about 25 times the cost when using third party cartridges which work just as well.

A much better solution to our problem would be the ability to roll back that very disingenuous firmware upgrade, or to provide another upgrade that undoes the damage.  HP has itself a bit of a PR nightmare right now, I'm sure you've looked around on Google.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write back.

Intern
Intern
21 19 0 15
Message 5 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply, Ciara, but...

I appreciate your information, but let's be clear on this.

HP has no business making my decision for me.

I can easily review the facts and determine what ink I want to use.

For the company to upgrade my firmware and disable my printer with aftermarket ink is not only wrong it may be illegal.

It certainly has driven me to consider returning my printer to Costco under their return policy and buying a Brother printer.

The only action that would cause me to reconsider is if HP rolled back the firmware update.

I will give them 2 weeks to do the right thing.

Regents Professor
Regents Professor
8735 7958 282 645
Message 6 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @DrRonski

I certainly take your point, and of course you're entitled to use whichever ink you like. Can I ask which brand of cartridges are you using?, are they remanufactured or cloned? 

http://h20435.www2.hp.com/t5/The-Next-Bench-Blog/Original-Cloned-or-Remanufactured-Print-Cartridges-...

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/hp-news/press-release.html?id=1880171#.V9piJvkrLmE

Thanks, Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
0 Kudos
clair2 Top Student
Top Student
1 1 0 2
Message 7 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem as another forum poster...

Was using the instant ink programme but found it to be very costly and we were being sent ink all of the time and we were just building a stash of it! Cancelled the subscription to find that the ink is locked and we can no longer use it!

Replaced all four cartridges with compatible ink cartridges and now am getting the error message that "ink is installed incorrectly "- each time a different colour, sometimes multiple colours? Occasionally it will print half a page before deciding it is installed incorrectly! 

I believe this is due to you firmware upgrade and is surely illegal? I wouldn't have to buy all of my washing powder from Tesco's just because I purchased a washing machine from them?

Tags (1)
koalalue Tutor
Tutor
4 4 0 3
Message 8 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'd like to know how much it actually costs to make these ink cartridges?  It's ridulous that it costs me $75-80 to get the color pack for my OfficeJet 8610, plus another $50 for black ink!  Now HP wants to force us to spend that much every time it has a firmware update!!!  Forget it!   If I had known this would happen, I NEVER would have invested in an HP printer.   HP shouldn't hold their customer hostage like this.  It really seems that HP is trying to set up a monopoly of sorts with only allowing HP marketed ink to be used.  I don't even have the right to refill my HP cartridges...on a machine that I OWN!  Ludicrous!

0 Kudos
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
3759 3753 365 640
Message 9 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi all,

Just to try and address the instant ink comments.

To clarify, the  instant ink savings  are on a sliding scale relative to the size of the printing plan you choose with the highest savings realized by those on the 300 page plan.

The instant ink program may at times of high usage send additionl pens to ensure that customer do not run out which can result in a pantry being built up. 

Customers only pay for printed pages and once the subscription is cancelled, the instant ink pens will no longer work with the printer until the subscription is resumed.

II savings.JPG

"
"Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
0 Kudos
koalalue Tutor
Tutor
4 4 0 3
Message 10 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This is an unacceptable resolution.  I take online classes and print a lot of materials for my course.  I'm printing over 300 pages of material in a one-month period.  I'm not going to pay overage charges for ink!

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation