cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
westmc
6 5 0 0
Message 1 of 12
Flag Post

M127fw Firmware

HP Recommended
M127fw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have the M127fw (with 20150228) connected to my home network through a wired connection. I've been having an issue for a while now where the printer won't wake up when I print to it. I have to hit the power switch once to wake it up, then again to turn it off, and again to turn it back on in order to print. An internet search came up with others having the same problem and a few people seemed fairly positive that it was introduced 2 firwmare versions ago.  I was thinking about trying to roll back to 20140526 but before I do that I wanted to find out if there are any plans for a fix or any beta firmware I can try.

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
westmc
Author
6 5 0 0
Message 2 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I decided to try downgrading but it doesn't look like that is possible.  I even tried doing a NVRAM reset but that didn't allow the firmware to be downgraded (or fix the sleep issue).  Will there be a new firmware version out soon?

0 Kudos
westmc
Author
6 5 0 0
Message 3 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Anybody?

0 Kudos
Gemini02
Retired
Retired
16,806 17,101 1,041 2,643
Message 4 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @westmc,

Welcome back to the HP Support Forums! I read your post and see that the printer won't wake up. I would like to help you out today. If this helps you to reach a solution, please click the "Accept as Solution" button down below in this message. If you wish to say thanks for my effort to help, click the " Thumbs Up " to give me a Kudos. :generic:

Once the firmware is updated, you can't roll it back.

The latest firmware available was for Windows 8.1, May 18, 2015.

Print a Configuration page to see what present firmware you are using, HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M177fw Printer and HP LaserJet Pro MFP M127fw and M128fw Printers - Printi...

Double check the settings on the printer for the auto settings.

Configure the Sleep/Auto Off After settings:

1. On the product control panel, press the Setup button.

2. Open the following menus:

• System Setup
  • Energy Settings
  • Sleep/Auto Off After

3. Use the arrow keys to select the time for the Sleep/Auto Off delay, and then press the OK button.
NOTE: The default value is 15 Minutes.

4. The product automatically wakes when it receives jobs or when you press a button on the product
control panel. You can change which events cause the product to wake. Open the following menus:

• System Setup
  • Energy Settings
  • Wake/Auto On Events

To turn off a wake event, select the event, and then select the No.

Go to setup, energy settings, wake/auto on events and select the fax.

This should bring the product out of sleep mode.

Source:  LASERJET PRO MFP.

Please let me know the outcome and if there is anything else I can help you with. Thank you.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
westmc
Author
6 5 0 0
Message 5 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@

I am running 20150228.  As for all the settings, they are the default.  Like I mentioned, I even tried clearing the NVRAM by pressing on the touch screen while turning the unit on which reset everything and that still didn't fix it.  From what I can gather, this is a common issue for anybody who has upgraded the firmware past 20140514 (including 20140129 which seems to be after 20140514).  Just to clarify, here are the steps to reproduce the issue...

Turn on printer.

Printing works correctly.

Wait 15 minutes.

Printing no longer works (from either Windows or Mac)

Pressing the switch to turn the display back on doesn't fix the problem.  A full power cycle is required.

When it gets into this "broken" state, I can go to the ip address in a browser and see the gui so it is responding to network commands.  It just won't accept print jobs.  I tried running that Scan Doctor app and what I noticed is that when the printer is working then it doesn't find a problem.  After 15 minutes, it will say that it found and "fixed" a port mismatch issue but it doesn't actually fix anything and rerunning it will keep displaying the same issue that it allegedly fixes each time.

Here are the things I have tried...

The HP favorite of unplugging for a few minutes

Downgrading firmware (installer wouldn't do it)

Reinstalling 20150228 (installer wouldn't do it)

Clearing the NVRAM

Disabling ipv6

Confirming that my router supports multicast

Reinstalling the Windows drivers

Trying both Windows and HP drivers

Trying on a Mac

0 Kudos
Gemini02
Retired
Retired
Message 6 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for providing that detailed information @westmc.

Please try the following steps listed below, to see if we can resolve the printer from not waking up.

Make sure there is no interference with any Antivirus or Firewall software by temporarily turning them off.

Power cycle the router, restart the printer and the computer.

I would suggest to run the firmware update with a USB connection, to see if you have the same results.

Setup a static IP for the printer, please go to Solution three: Assign the printer a static IP address, HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M177fw Printer and HP LaserJet Pro MFP M127fw and M128fw Printers - Printe...

Please try the following steps for the Mac, just to see if it helps with waking up the printer.

Manually add the printer by the IPv4 address.
Go to the Apple.
System Preferences.
Printers and Scanners.
Click the + button.
Then select the IP icon across the top.
Type in the printer's IPv4 address.
Select jet direct below and then Apply.

Try printing again after the printer goes into sleep mode.

I believe by changing these settings on the router will help with this issue if it continues. You might need to contact the router company to make those changes.

• Make sure that on your wireless modem, the channels for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz are fixed and are not set to automatic !!
  • Select channel 6 for 2.4Ghz and channel 36 for 5Ghz frequency.

Let me know if you are using VPN and if the IP address is fixed.

Please let me know the results. Thank you.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
westmc
Author
6 5 0 0
Message 7 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Gemini02 I am running wired with WiFi disabled. I tried rolling back as well as reinstalling the same firmware through the network as well as through USB but it wouldn't work. I am not running vpn and antivirus doesn't seem to have an effect. Neither did a static IP. From everything I have read, it is a firmware issue. Here is an example...

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/ePrint-Print-Apps-Mobile-Printing-and-ePrintCenter/Airprint-HP-laserjet...

Can't HP just release a new firmware version to fix this or provide a way for me to rollback?

0 Kudos
westmc
Author
6 5 0 0
Message 8 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Gemini02

It didn't tag you properly, so I am trying again.

0 Kudos
Gemini02
Retired
Retired
Message 9 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @westmc,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, this Post has instructions.

Thank you.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
Hpbung
5 3 0 0
Message 10 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I just bought an HP M127fw. I'm on  a Mac. I installed the software and updated the firmware to 20160622. I went to the energy setting and changed all the setting for "Wake On Events" to ON for all of these options... Control Panel Touch, LAN, Wireless.

I also set the energy setting for "Sleep/Auto Off after" to 60 minutes as opposed the defualt 15 min.  I also have "Auto Off/Manual On after" set to NEVER.

I have the printer to obtain a dedicated IP wirelessly once it connects to the router. I also restarted the router. Everything connected to my router gets it's own IP address within the DHCP settings on my Linksys 3000 router page.

Having the printer obtain an IP address is not the problem. In fact, if I tap on the Wireless icon on the LCD display on the printer, it shows connected to the IP address I've assigned it to.

When I try to print something after it's gone to sleep (which should never happen), I see my document in the que and am getting the message "Printer is not responding". When I power the printer off (not unplug from the wall) then back on again, it goes through it's initiallization and it starts to print.

So the only way to get the printer to print, is to turn it off then back on again. I've also tried unplugging the printer from the wall when power cycling to see if I have "wake up" issues and the problem still persists. The only way to print is to power cycle the printer.

Even in the morning, when I press on the LCD screen, it wakes the printer but am unable to print to it unless I power cycle.

Could you please assist?

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation