cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
PhilBurton
Level 1
6 1 0 0
Message 1 of 12
Flag Post

M401dn with PCL 6 driver - "49 Error" when printing 43 MB PDF

HP Recommended

I have had this M401dn for about a week now, no problems at all, until I tried to print a PDF where one page only was 43 MB.  My "workaround" was to print this page on an inket printer (Canon), no problems.

However, I know from experience that a 49 error usually indicates a hardware error or corrupt firmware.  Is that possible in this case, because of the size of this PDF?  Is there a workaround?  I had to replace my last HP printer when it started to develop intermittent 49 Error situations, and eventually constant 49 Errors, and then stopped working completely.

Do I need to get the printer fixed under a warranty exchange?  (I just threw out the shipping box!)

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
dansdaduk
Level 9
3,562 3,538 282 591
Message 2 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

"49 errors" can also occur on some printers when a fatal error occurs in the firmware parsing the incoming print stream, due to (unexpected, bad) structure of that stream.

affableLJ
Level 5
Level 5
145 138 8 51
Message 3 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Turn the product off, wait at least 30 seconds, and then turn the product on and wait for it to initialize.

If you are using a surge protector, remove it. Plug the product directly into the wall socket. Turn the product power on.

If the message persists, contact HP support.

Regards,
affableLJ
Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution
I am an HP employee!
hoard_master
Level 4
Level 4
107 107 8 31
Message 4 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Have you tried opening the PDF and use the "print as image" option?  This should be a bit easier on the memory/raster sending of data.

-How about the UPD PS driver as an option?

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
0 Kudos
priyankagadekar
Just joined
5 5 0 0
Message 5 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Error 49 is related to firmware.

Printer should be connected to direct wall outlet.

Check the firmware datecode from the configuration report and update the latest one available on HP webiste.

If the issue still persists then try installing a different printer driver.

0 Kudos
rk_russelking
Level 5
Level 5
306 306 19 46
Message 6 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

You can try the below workaround and check for the issue.

From pdf, select print option

On print window, select Advanced option and select the "Print as Image" and click Ok.

Try printting.

Thank you! I am an HP employee.

Please click the "Thumbs up" icon below to thank or click “Accept as Solution” . if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
0 Kudos
ggodderi
Level 2
18 18 1 2
Message 7 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can you give us more information about the 49 error.  You should see a code that looks like:

49.XX.YY - what are the XX and YY from the error.  Once we know these items, we can better determine what may have caused the error.

0 Kudos
Ganeshv
Level 2
16 16 1 6
Message 8 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello

Error 49 is communication / Firmware error

Try printing the same file from different computer if it is working then

try to download the UPD PS driver from HP website

Link:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18...

if the issue still persist then

Check the firmware datecode from the configuration report and update the latest one available on HP webiste.

Link :
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18...

I work for HP.

infant_ruban
Just joined
2 2 0 2
Message 9 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Work around for 49 error when printing from PCL 6 driver , we need to change the printer driver settings and check

Go To Printer Properties >Select Advanced Tab>Select Printing defaults >in the  new window Select Advanced > change the following options

Raster Compression: Maximum Compression

Send True type as bitmap:Enabled   

Printer Optimizations: Enabled                                                                                

Regards

Reuben

Hp Employee

0 Kudos
scofield107
Just joined
1 1 0 0
Message 10 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi philNY,

The 49 error usually occurs when there is a print job stuck in the queue and it is conflicting with the print jobs given later on to the printer.

If the printer is connected on a manual ip, please change the ip address of the printer and try printing.

Also, please connect the printer directly to the wall socket and not using a surge protector.

Please let me know if this helped.

Thank You

Best Regards,

Shreyas

Remote Technical Support Engineer for Printers/Scanners

Hewlett Packard

email: shreyas.prakash@hp.com

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation