Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
LaserJet M402n
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

New printer recently setup in the office connected via network cable only to a small network of windows 10 64bit PC's.

It sometimes gets stuck saying prinitng on the screen of the printer, then nothing will print. If you press the X on printer is says cancelling and is still stuck until you turn it off and on.

I have found a 1 page PDF document that will always create this error from any computer. Other HP printers on the same network print this file without issue.

When this PDF document is sent to the printer it prints quickly as expected but printer is then stuck saying printing. Most other PDF's print without issuse on this printer but some documents like this one cause this fault.

I have tried various driver settings and various drivers for this printer including HP Universal Printer driver but eveytime I try this document I get the same problem. Also tried print as image in PDF ssettings but still same fault.

I tried to submit problem to HP support but it diverted to HPE support then I tried to submit via HPE support and it diverted me back to normal HP support and so on!

I have an HP M553 also on this network and has never had any issuses like this, it prints all documents without fault. I thought M402n would be a reliable printer, but it is not, it replaced a very old LaserJet 1300 that was more reliable and could print this file!

Firmware is the lastest that I can see. For now only solution is to turn printer off and on when it hangs.

I've put the problem file on my server here for HP to download for testing: http://www.tdiautos.net/temp/print.pdf

Looks like an issue that a firmware update would be needed to fix.

Someone please help or I need to return the printer for a more reliable model.

Here is copy of most of device config page information:

Product Name: HP LaserJet M402n

Formatter Number: 1L60668

Cartridge Index: PJNP AKKA

Service ID: 27094

Firmware Datecode: 20161011

Control Panel Version: 0x00

Max Print Quality: ProRes 1200

Controller Number: 11901

Device Description: HP LaserJet M402n

Language: English

Product Security: Off

Quiet Print Mode: Off

Total Memory: 128 MBytes

Available Memory: 65.17 MByte

Installed Personalities and Options PCL6 AirPrint PCL PDF PS

Total Impressions: 89 Total Equivalent Impressions (A4/Letter): 89.0 Jam Events: 0 Mispick Events: 0 Economode Impressions: 0

Default Paper Size: A4

Default Paper Type: Plain

Tray 1 Size: Any Size

Tray 1 Type: Any Type

Tray 2 Size: Any Size

Tray 2 Type: Any Type

Paper Out Action: Wait Forever Manual Feed: Off

Tray Size Prompt: On

Auto Continue: On

Number of Copies: 1

Courier Font: Regular Orientation: Portrait Monochrome RET: On Wide A4: No A5 Feed Orientation:

Landscape Monochrome Resolution: 600

Monochrome Bits per Pixel: 2 Economode: Off

Print Density: 2 IO Timeout: 120 Seconds Jam Recovery: Auto

Personality: Auto Print PS Errors: Off

Paper Types

Plain: Normal Light 60-74g: Light HP EcoSMART Lite: Light Intermediate 85-95g: Heavy Mid-Weight 96-110g: Heavy Heavy 111-130g: Heavy Extra Heavy 131-175g: Extra Heavy Transparency: Transparency Labels: Label Letterhead: Normal Envelope: Envelope Preprinted: Normal Prepunched: Normal Colored: Normal Bond: Heavy Recycled: Normal Rough: Heavy

Energy Settings

Sleep/Auto Off After Inactivity: 1 Minute Shut Down After Inactivity: 8 Hours Delay Shut Down: When Ports are Active

LaserJet Updates Settings

Check Automatically Yes Prompt Before Install Yes Allow Downgrade Yes Allow Updates Yes

Supply Settings

Very Low Setting (Black Cartridge): Continue Low Threshold (Black Cartridge): 5% Store Usage Data: On Supplies Cartridge Policy: Off Cartridge Protection: Off

Miscellaneous

Extended print modes modified: No USB Connection: No Font Source: I (Internal) Font Number: 23 Font Pitch: 10.00 Font Point Size: 12.00 Symbol Set: PC-8 Form Length: 64 Lines Append CR to LF: No

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

There is a firmware update, dated 20170802.  Maybe this will help...

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.