Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
M477fdn

How can I perform a cold reset on a M477fdn? I tried the solutions that are described for M476 an other models (hold bottom left or right quarter of the touchscreen during boot) but without success.

Thanks for your help!

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi, please carefully read the CAUTION before performing an NV Ram Init. 

Printer resets

Restore the factory-set defaults

Restoring the factory-set defaults returns all of the printer and network settings to the factory defaults. It will not reset the page count, tray size, or language. To restore the printer to the factory-default settings, follow these steps.

CAUTION: Restoring the factory-set defaults returns all of the settings to the factory defaults, and it also deletes any pages that are stored in the memory.

2-line control panels: On the printer control panel, press the OK button.

Touchscreen control panels: From the Home screen on the printer control panel, touch the Setup button.

Open the Service menu.

Select the Restore Defaults option, and then press or touch the OK button.

The printer automatically restarts.

NVRAM initialization

CAUTION: Be sure to print a configuration page before performing an NVRAM initialization.

An NVRAM initialization erases all data stored in the unprotected NVRAM sections. Performing an NVRAM initialization resets the following settings and information:

All menu settings are reset to factory default values.

All localization settings, including language and country/region, are reset.

After performing an NVRAM initialization, reconfigure any computers that print to this printer so that the computers can recognize the printer.

Turn the printer off.

2-line control panels: Press and hold the right-arrow button and the Cancel button simultaneously. Keep the buttons depressed as you turn the printer on.

Touchscreen control panels: Turn the printer on, and then, as soon as the HP logo appears, press the lower right quadrant of the control panel.

When the Permanent Storage Init. message appears on the display, release the buttons (2-line control panels) or touchscreen.

The NVRAM initialization starts.

When the printer has finished the NVRAM initialization, it returns to the Ready state.

I work on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

I tried as you said, and I have the touchscreen, but still doesn't reverse to original state,

I am frustrated because I am not a novice in these devices, but it is annoying, planning to return it to vendor, please help. I made the mistake of initializing with my usb connection instead of going to my wireless system, I cannot reverse it.  

Annoyed,

Thank you for any help

Jorge P

HP Recommended

did not work

suggestions ?

HP Recommended

"

Sometimes depending of the security a 2nd reset may need to be done 

the process its the same but instead of lower right its lower left "

it works

HP Recommended

Did you ever get it to work.  I finally figured out I was pressing the touch screen too soon.  I needed to wait until the first of the HP logos appeared before pressing and holding in the lower right quadrant.

HP Recommended

Thank you. This helped me a lot - was making the same "mistake".

HP Recommended

5-9-18    Have struggled for days stuck on "INITIALIZING" on my HP  black and white laser printer model MFP M225DW with no luck UNTIL I TRIED this NVRAM COLD RESET.   WORKED THE FIRST TIME, ONCE I SAW THE EXACT SEQUENCE of how to do this.    (DId I say YEA!)     I was one click from buying a new printer.

So, just what is this EXACT SEQUENCE?     Well, up until now, I was doing it wrong.    Here is how you do it.    Power up as you press (takes two fingers) the RIGHT ARROW and the 'X" (both of these are not visible but you can press them if you look in your manual on line to see WHERE THEY ARE) but what I did not know until seeing this post was that as soon as you see the HP LOGO on pinter screen you must press the LOWER RIGHT CORNER WITH A THIRD FINGER and HOLD until you see PERMANENT STORAGE INIT.    Once you see PERMANENT STORAGE INIT, let go with all three fingers and just wait 5 minutes and let the printer go thru its routine and then...boom...you are back to the screen with all the icons and you are ready to go.    Next step is to touch the little 'i" and set up your wifi code so you can link with the computer.   Next, go to your computer (iMac for me...go to System Prefernces-Printers) and reset your printing system and then click the plus sign to find your NEWLY WORKING PRINTER!   Oh...then yell YEA!!!!    Happy printing...for now.    (Next time I buy a Brother)

Interesting post script:   Before figuring this out, I talked to a senior HP printer tech who specializes in MAC computers.   He took control remotely of my computer and went through the reset procedure where you press the lower left (not right)corner of the printer screen to get to a PERMANENT STORAGE INIT screen, but it would not initialize.   He then said there must be a problem with the IMAGING DRUM, a built-in, non-replaceable part, and that THE PRINTER WAS NOT FIXABLE AND I would need to REPLACE THE PRINTER.     THE HP TECH THEN PROCEED TO OFFER ME A "DEAL" ON A NEW "M-130FN" LASER PRINTER FOR $140 PLUS TAX which was not a deal at all, since Best Buy has the same price.    I am thru with HP, once this printer dies its final death.   For now, however, I am good to go for maybe at least...an hour?  a week?  a month?  who knows!

HP Recommended

Didnt work for me!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.