Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

As soon as my M477fdw goes into standby, it starts making a high pitched noise - probably coming from the power supply. Have any of you experienced this as well? I set it to go to standby after one minute of inactivity so the fan goes off. It's quite annoying as I need and want to have the printer on my desk. Have any of you noticed this too?

I recorded the noise and uploaded it to onedrive - here's a link: 477fdw noise

Thanks for your help in advance and best,

Jurg

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi migros8,

I had this issue with the high pitch noise before in a different printer model than yours.

I also found that the sound was coming from the power supply. I replaced the power supply and got rid of this annoying sound. I am not sure if this could have been fixed by an electronic engineer or technician though.

Cheers!

ALEX-TATS
Printer Engineer for a HP Platinum Partner
I am not a HP employee
If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the “Accept as Solution” button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the “Thumbs up" button!
HP Recommended

Hey Alex-TATS,

Thanks for your reply. That's interesting. I wouldn't want to mess with the printer though. What I am trying to find out now is whether others have this problem as well (general issue with the 477fdw) or whether it's just my unit. If it's just me I'll look into getting it replaced by HP. Would be great if they could do it on site though.

HP Recommended

My new hp Color Laserjet Pro MFP M477fdw was making annoying sounds also.  To me it sounded like it was trying to communicate with another computer, or wifi, or something... so I checked the connection information and turned the "Wifi Driect" off and the annoying sounds stopped.  I hope this helps you.

HP Recommended

I am also having the same issue with the same printer model. Did you find any solution ?

HP Recommended

I have the same issue with a brand new HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M281fdw. Called HP and they couldn't help. Going to swap it out with a new one. If the problem persists with a new one I will be getting a refund!

HP Recommended

Please make sure that you plug the printer directly in a wall socket and not in a power strip or a surge protector.

ALEX-TATS
Printer Engineer for a HP Platinum Partner
I am not a HP employee
If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the “Accept as Solution” button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the “Thumbs up" button!
HP Recommended

Tried that already. Same problem I'm afraid!

HP Recommended

Got the same printer from Amazon today. Works fine. No noise! I don't get these things sometimes. I.e plug it into the wall socket instead of a surge protector. It should work in either instance. Crazy!

HP Recommended

Willst - I just got a M281fdw today and it's making the same buzzing noise in the on/off switch when it goes into sleep mode.  Do you ever figure out why?  Or did you just return it and get a new one - - and it was fine?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.