cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
RWMeyda
5 2 0 0
Message 1 of 12
Flag Post

Solved!

M604 serial connection

HP Recommended
LaserJet M604

Can the HP LaserJet M604 N be made to work on a network that sends print jobs via serial connections?  How?  I've connected via an ethernet cable to the serial box with no success.  I purchased a USB to Serial dongle, which the printer immediately demands be removed as soon as it is attached.  I'm thinking that the M604 can't do what my old 4050 DN could?  Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
davidzuts
Level 13
7,130 7,062 558 1,025
Message 5 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The problem is the M604 I think does not have a EIO slot.  They seem to have done away with them on the newer series.

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
11 REPLIES 11
SHThompson
Level 12
3,729 3,657 305 673
Message 2 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm wondering what kind of network you have.

If you gave the new printer the same IP configuration as the 4050 you're replacing I would think it would work with the same drivers.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .
davidzuts
Level 13
7,130 7,062 558 1,025
Message 3 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I would think the user is out of luck.  I am sure right now he has what looks like a ethernet flat cable going from his box into an adapter piece that goes into the serial port on the back of the 4000 series printer.  His problem is the data he is sending to the printer is in serial mode which means the only printer that will work is one that has a serial port and the ability to configure that port at the printer since you are dealing with parity, stop bits, etc.  There is no adapter that I know of that will plug into the usb port of the printer to convert the serial data to usb data.  Usb to serial adapters are made to feed serial input into a computer and not a printer.

SHThompson
Level 12
3,729 3,657 305 673
Message 4 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended
David if you are correct then what he needs is:

HP Jetdirect Card J4135A

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

davidzuts
Level 13
7,130 7,062 558 1,025
Message 5 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The problem is the M604 I think does not have a EIO slot.  They seem to have done away with them on the newer series.

View solution in original post

SHThompson
Level 12
3,729 3,657 305 673
Message 6 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Darn, I looked at a picture and Mr Zuts is correct.

RWMeyda
Author
5 2 0 0
Message 7 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you, SHThompson and Davidznuts for taking the time to review my issue.  I appreciate your time and agree with your assessment.  It is much appreciated.

GaryL1
Level 6
261 241 15 105
Message 8 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Could this be a work around?   Use an older External Jetdirect like the 175X which converts the signal from a network to a USB.  The external box will generate it's own IP, so you print to that IP and plug the 604 in via USB. 

The serial signal is most likely a 150 or 300 dpi, but the 604 sould be able to fill in the spaces with a dithering or (similar to half toning but I can't recall technical name).

davidzuts
Level 13
7,130 7,062 558 1,025
Message 9 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Gary,

I think you do not understand what this user is doing.  He has a device that outputs data via a serial connection which was working on a laserjet 4000 series.  This printer series has a serial input.  Do not confuse usb with serial as they are two different forms of communication.  The older serial method provided a data stream that was sent to the printer in text format with the  method of communication being between the device and the printer interperted using stop bit, parity and baud rate.  This was a form of communication used before DOS and continued into the later 90's.  It is an obsolete form of communication but there are many applications out there that still use it.  Many labs have devices that read measurements and output those measurements to printers.  They never stop working since there is little except circut boards, probes, etc.  The only thing this user can do is obtain a refurbished lj 4000 series printer since his operation is already setup for one.  When connected via serial cable there is no tcp/ip.

SHThompson
Level 12
3,729 3,657 305 673
Message 10 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've lost track of what printers have a built-in EIO port as far as the new machines but the P4015 definitely had one.

So if you got the Jetdirect card I mentioned it could go in anything in between a 4000 and a P4015 in that family. In other words: 4100, 4200, 4250, 4300, 4350.

The P4015 would be my preferred choice in that line since that is the most recent printer that definitely had an eio slot.

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation