cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

MFP M276n would only install once, win7

HP Recommended
Laserjet Pro 200 MFP M276n
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Printer installed fine on new laptop (USB, from Smart Install), then I had to recover the laptop and printer wouldn't get past 99% of installation. 'Fatal Error' and no info.

I've tried Smart Install, the CD and downloaded files. Total of over 10 attempts. I've also tried installing over the network - the printer is found but installation doesn't get past 20% or lower. I've also tried the Assisted Installation online, but that not only didn't work, it had the total incompetence to declare 'installation successful' and did not notice the failure to install.....

I've seen the same problem on this forum (different printer) but the solution if that is right, becomes vague and I couldn't follow it.

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
4,038 3,773 305 595
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @sgjklsjifg,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I see that you're having difficulties installing the HP Software for the HP LaserJet Pro 200 color MFP M276n Printer. I would like to assist you with this.

I would try the steps within this guide, HP Laserjet Products - 'Device setup failed to complete' or 'Unknown device' Message Displays in Windows during USB Instal...

Important!  Delete temporary files and folders using the Disk Cleanup utility

1. Open the Disk Cleanup utility:
    • Windows Vista or Windows 7: Click the Windows icon (), click All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools, and then click Disk Cleanup.
      The Disk Cleanup dialog box opens.
  2. On the Disk Cleanup Options dialog box, select My Files Only, and then select the hard drive.
    The Disk Cleanup utility completes the following tasks to free hard drive space:
    • Deletes temporary Internet files
    • Deletes downloaded program files
    • Empties the Recycle Bin
    • Deletes files from the Temporary folder
    • Deletes files created by other Windows tools
    • Removes optional Windows components that are not used
  3. The Disk Cleanup utility creates a report that contains a list of the files or items that the Disk Cleanup utility recommends you delete. When the report displays on the computer, select the check boxes next to all items you want to delete, and then click OK.

If the issue persists, I recommend disabling any anti-virus and firewall software during the installation.

How to disable anti-virus software.

How to turn Windows Firewall on or off.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows.

Make sure that the Windows Installer service is not set to Disabled

1. Click StartStart button, type services.msc in the Search box or click Run then type services.msc in the dialog (Windows XP or Windows Server 2003), and then press Enter to open Services.
  2. Right-click Windows Installer, and then click Properties.
  3. If the Startup type box is set to Disabled, change it to Manual.
  4. Click OK to close the Properties window.
  5. Right-click the Windows Installer service, and then click Start. The service should start without errors.
  6. Try to install or to uninstall again.

Disable programs that might be interfering with the installation process. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click StartStart button, type msconfig in the Search box, and then click msconfig.exe.

User Account Control permissionIf you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password, or provide confirmation.
  2. On the General tab, click Selective startup, and then clear the Load startup items check box.
  3. Click Services, click Hide all Microsoft services, and then click Disable all.
  4. Click OK, and then click Restart.
  5. Try running your software program installation.
  6. When you are finished troubleshooting the problem, restart the computer in Normal Startup mode. To do this, follow these steps:
    1. Click StartStart button, type msconfig in the Search box, and then click msconfig.exe.

User Account Control permissionIf you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password, or provide confirmation.
    2. On the General tab, click Normal startup, click OK, and then click Restart.

Download and install a fresh copy of the HP Software. 

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. Good Luck! 🙂

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the help, but I tried both the Cleanup and the disabling of the non-Microsoft startup files and still the same.

I didn't need to download new software (when I opt for this the message after trying is 'up to date'), or enable any web services as part of the installation. because with the disablements I needed to disconnect the phone lead from the router.

Why would the Assisted Installation fail to see the installation failing? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
4,038 3,773 305 595
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @sgjklsjifg,

Thanks for getting back to me.

There is corruption in the software on your computer, this is why you're experiencing problems.

Also, downloading and installing a fresh copy of the HP Software was a crucial step. 

Please try these steps again.

If you're still experiencing issues, I would contact HP. 

What you can do, is use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:
Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number
Case number and phone number appear. 

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Software I have tried over the last 2 weeks to install it.... SmartInstall via USB, my own CD I got with the printer, downloading a new copy, downloading as part of the Assited Installation. None work. There is also that common 0x00000EB error when I try to install a network printer I used before the recovery (it is an HP laptop).

Does that Case and Phone number mean I have to phone up HP and try to get this dealt with by phone?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Maybe I should be investigating the laptop instead. I went through the recovery and probably should have done the printer before any others I did.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
4,038 3,773 305 595
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @sgjklsjifg,

Yes, I recommend you contact HP. You will be given a case number to provide to the technician.

Good Luck!

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation