Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Top Student
Message 1 of 6 (45,916 Views)

Mac OS X Lion Scan to Network Folder Fix - OfficeJet Pro 8500A

I finally found a solution to fix the problem encountered when trying to scan to a network folder on your Mac. The problem seems to rest with Apple's decision in Lion to disuse the older SMB protocal which is what the printer is set up to use. This is why you can scan to a Network folder on your Mac under Snow Leopard but not after an upgrade to Lion. The main help is found on an Apple forum: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3208098?start=45&tstart=0

In case the link is removed, the key is to use SMBUp which is a little file that puts older SMB action back into Lion. I downloaded this file from http://eduo.info/apps/smbup

Now that you have downloaded SMBUp follow these instructions:

First make a folder to scan to. Just like instructions for Snow Leopard:

Go to Sharing in System Prefrences, select File Sharing add the Shared Folder, turn on Windows Sharing SMB by clicking the Option button. Make sure Everyone can read and write.

Install SMBUp let the program download additional Samba support if needed and let if finish installing on your Mac.

Next in SMBUp click "Add new shared drive" add your Network folder [that you have made in File Sharing.

Make sure to uncheck the Read Only button. Select the info in the Name box mine was something like TOMS-MACBOOK-PRO_SMB_SMB.

Next open HP Utility - Select Scan to Network Folder at the bottom, click "Register My Shared Folder..." button which will open HP Utility in a browser, refresh the browser page if it loads partially or not at all. Select New under Network Folder Setup. The network path will be two slashes plus  the Name in SMBUp (TOMS-MACBOOK-PRO_SMB_SMB) plus the shared folder. So Mine came out to be: \\TOMS-MACBOOK-PRO_SMB_SMB\Scans

Put in your Computer's username that you log in with. I did all capital letters even though my Login is not all caps. The password is the one you use to login and also to make changes in System Preferences.

I skiped Pin setup.

Select Default Scan options then tap Next.

And Finally select Save and Test.

Hopefully you have a new folder setup and ready to use. Mine worked the first time. Check for errors if not and try again. This has worked for many others.

Hope this helped.

0 Kudos
Intern
Message 2 of 6 (43,754 Views)

Re: Mac OS X Lion Scan to Network Folder Fix - OfficeJet Pro 8500A

Thank you for this info, very helpful!  It took a few tries to get my HP 8500A to understand that it had 'write privileges', but once I got past that, this worked.

A note for those trying this, follow Lucky_Mac's instructions very carefully.  You need to do every step to make this work. 

Student
Message 3 of 6 (38,656 Views)

Hi Lucky_Mac, thanks for your explanation. Followed your recommendation. Looks like that I need some further help to get it working. When testing the new setting following error message is returned

incorrect dredentials

any idea what this means. I'm sure that I entered the user name and password correctly.

kind regards

Hugo

Honor Student
Message 4 of 6 (28,635 Views)

[ Edited ]

It's now 3 years later.  Is this still the fix I need?

Top Student
Message 5 of 6 (28,625 Views)

The above method still works. I also found it just as easy (and simpler) to leave a USB flash drive in the front USB port. Select "Scan to Memory Device" from the scan menu. Then from your Mac connect to the printer's flash drive from Finder.

First you will need the wifi IP address - usually on the printer go to tools and find the wireless settings and select wireless details (or something similar my printer is not in front of me right now). Mine is 10.0.1.18.

Next go to Finder and select 'Connect to Server' from the Go menu (⌘+K)

Type in (without the quotes and your IP address) "smb://10.0.1.8/Memory_Card"

Select Connect and it should connect in 30 seconds or less.

You can Favorite this folder and also tell your Mac to load this folder when you first log onto your computer so it is always ready and you just need to open the folder. No extra software needed.
Honor Student
Message 6 of 6 (22,387 Views)

Logon_to_HP_Printer_as_SMB_Server.png

Wow, not terribly secure considering that you use "guest" access to access this...

On the other hand, is exceptionally handy.  

I will use a Folder Action from my Mac OS X Server and copy items that appear immediately to a secure file share (server volume) on the Mac OS X Server to which all the family has access, and delete the originals accordingly from the memory stick in the printer.

The web interface to the printer should contain the setup for this and the ablity to set a username and password...

Never the less, it would be fewer moving parts using the scanner to push directly to the server...  

Thanks for the tip. Works as expected using Mac OS X 10.10.4 El Capitan for accessing the thumb drive I have in the server.

#printer as server, #thumbdrive #memory stick #printer as server #Mac OS X Server #el capitan #network volume #

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation