cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
eceebf
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Magenta doesn't work even with new cartridges

HP Recommended
OfficeJet 4630
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

The Magenta on my 4630 printer quit working, even with two brand new genuine color cartridges and the ink level showing completely full.

I tried all the diagnostics, such  as cleaning the cartridge, scanning an alignment page, and printing the diagnostics pages.  Surprisingly, the alignment page scanned in and passed even though there was no magenta on the alignment page.  The diagnostic page prints, except there's no magenta anywhere on the page.

There were no error messages in any of the diagnostics.

Any suggestions?

3 REPLIES 3
MKazi
Retired
Retired
12,746 12,697 830 1,560
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@eceebf

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP Officejet 4630 e-All-in-One Printer. I read that the printer quit printing the magenta color. You have replaced the cartridges with original HP cartridges and the issue still persists. You have cleaned the cartridge and aligned it too. You've done a remarkable job performing the steps. 

To provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• Does a color copy have all colors (including magenta)?

Meanwhile, I did some research and suggest you to perform the following steps:

• Disconnect the power cable from the printer while the printer is still ON.
  • Disconnect any other cables if connected the printer.
  • Press and hold the printer’s power button for 15 seconds.
  • The printer should be directly connected to the wall outlet and not to a surge protector. Reconnect the power cable to print and the printer should power ON by itself. If the printer doesn’t power ON then please manually power it ON.

Post the above steps, please perform the steps to clean the ink cartridges manually:

• This printer uses two cartridges which are black and the tri-color cartridges. The printhead is inbuilt on the cartridges itself. 
  • Gather the following items to clean the ink cartridge and carriage:

• Clean distilled water. Use bottled or filtered water if distilled water is not available. Tap water can contain contaminants that damage the ink cartridge.

• Clean cotton swabs or any soft, lint-free material that will not stick to the ink cartridges (coffee filters work well).

• Sheets of paper or a paper towel to rest the ink cartridge on during cleaning.

• Open the ink cartridge access door and wait until the carriage is idle and silent.

• Disconnect the power cord from the back of the printer.

• Remove the ink cartridge and place it on a piece of paper with the nozzle plate facing up.

NOTE: Do not leave the ink cartridges outside of the printer for more than 30 minutes. If the ink cartridge is outside of the printer for too long, the ink can dry and clog the nozzles.

• Dip a clean foam-rubber swab or lint-free cloth into distilled water, and then squeeze any excess water from it.

• Clean only the copper-colored contacts.

Figure : Cleaning the contacts

• Copper-colored contacts

• Ink nozzles (do not clean)

• Repeat these steps for the other ink cartridge.

• Lightly moisten another cotton swab with distilled water, and then squeeze any excess water from the swab.

• Use the swab to clean the electrical contacts in the carriage, located inside the printer on the carriage slots.

Figure : The electrical contacts in the ink cartridge slots

Image: The electrical contacts in the cartridge slots

• Wait 10 minutes to allow the ink cartridge and carriage electrical contacts to dry.

• Reinstall the ink cartridges.

• Close the ink cartridge access door.

• Reconnect the power cord to the back of the printer.

• Press the Power button to turn on the printer.

• Try to print a page.

• If the colors still do not print correctly, repeat these steps to clean and reseat the ink cartridges. Multiple cleanings might be necessary to restore printing.

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Keep me posted. Cheers! 🙂

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
eceebf
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks, I did the steps you described, but the magenta still does not print.  I tried doing color copies instead of printing from a computer, and the magenta does not print in either a printed page or a color copy.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

MKazi
Retired
Retired
12,746 12,697 830 1,560
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@eceebf

You're most welcome. 🙂

The evidence points towards the printer. It is definitely not the cartridges. I suggest you to reach out to our HP phone support to explore the hardware service options for the printer.

Good luck! 

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation