cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
jjunkman Honor Student
Honor Student
4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Making a laptop work with a HP J6480 printer wirelessly

I purchased an HP J6480 All-in-one printer and can not figure out how to get my wife's HP laptop to work with the printer wirelessly.  I'm not very good with this wireless stuff.  Anyway, I have an Apple imac and the printer is hooked up to it via Ethernet cable.  Everything works fine there.  I bought the printer with wireless capabilities so the wife (upstairs) could print on my printer (J6480 which is downstairs) using her laptop.  Her laptop accesses the web via my wireless router.  What do I have to do to get her computer to be able to print on my printer wirelessly?  Thanks in advance and please don't be too hard on an old boy.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Retired
Retired
20,508 20,434 1,425 4,862
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You need to connect your printer to your router so everyone can print to it.

If you can, connect it with an Ethernet cable.  Wired and wireless clients are all treated as equals in the router's world.

Check your manual for how to hook up via Ethernet.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
0 Kudos
jjunkman Honor Student
Honor Student
4 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the printer connected to the router.  The phone line comes into the printer and another cable goes from the printer to the router.  Is this what your talking about?  Here's my setup:  Downstairs I have my Apple, the printer and the router on one desk.  Upstairs is the wife's laptop.  My Apple is hooked up to the router via ethernet cable.  My wife accesses the router(web) wirelessly.  The only thing I need to do is to do whatever is necessary to allow the wife to use the printer from upstairs wirelessly.  Since she can access the web wirelessly, can she print wirelessly also or do I have to do something else?

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It sounds like it is hooked up properly.  Your first message made it sound like the printer was directly connected to the iMac via Ethernet.  I see now that it is not.  it is connected to the router.  Once something is connected to the router (wired or wireless), it is essentially connected to all the devices on the router (the network) regardless of how they are connected to it.

So now all you have to do is add the software for the HP computer.  You did not tell me what operating system, so go here and download/install the appropriate Full Feature software and driver.

I am employed by HP

0 Kudos
jjunkman Honor Student
Honor Student
4 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Are you talking about installing the HP software that came with the printer on my wife's laptop?  I have the cd that came with the printer.  Or, do I need the software download you mentioned?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Its always better to download from the hp.com site because it may have been updated since the CD was made.

I am employed by HP

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation