Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
hp photosmart 6510
Microsoft Windows 8 (32-bit)

I have done the check driver step and still cant see any "manage scan to computer" when I double click my printer icon. I can print wirelessly no problem but my printer sont scan to my computer. I need this asap. I have windows 8 but not sure if 32 or 64 bit. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Di

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @diragdoll,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I understand that you're not able to locate the 'Manage Scan to Computer' option for your  HP Photosmart 6510 e-All-in-One Printer on your Windows 8 computer. I would like to assist you today with this scan feature. Now, Scan to Computer is usually Enabled after installing the printer. This feature allows you to scan from the control panel of your printer. However, it does not affect scanning from the HP Scan software on your computer. I will be walking you through steps below to ensure that the HP Scan software is installed and functioning on your Windows 8 computer. Once we confirm that the actual HP Scan software is functioning I will be able to guide you to check the Scan to Computer feature. Please follow the steps below.

Step 1: Scan through HP Scan:

1. Click on the HP Printer Assistant software icon on your computer desktop

scan 1.png

2. When the HP Printer Assistant opens select Scan a Document or Photo. HP Scan will now open.

scan 2.png

3. When HP Scan opens select the scan option you wish to test on the left hand side.

scan 3.png

4. Load a piece of paper to test scan on the flatbed glass on your printer

5. Choose Scan under the HP Scan software

6. Once the scan is complete, click Save under the HP Scan software on your computer and you will be able to save the scan on your system

scan 7.png

If HP Scan scans your document successfully than we know the software is functioning as it should be. At this point we can take a look at the Manage Scan to Computer option.

1. Click on the HP Printer Assistant icon again

scan 1.png

2. Under the HP Printer Assistant click on Manage Scan to Computer

Untitled.png

3. Under the Scan to Computer window, if the feature shows as Disabled, click Enable. Make sure the box is checked for 'Automatically start Scan to Computer when I log on to Windows'. Click Close once changes have been made.

click the enable button

Once Scan to Computer has been enabled, please try scanning from the front panel of your HP Photosmart again. For full instructions on how to scan from the control panel of your Photosmart please click here.

Please respond to this post with the result of scanning through the HP Scan software and enabling Scan to Computer. Good luck! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hello @diragdoll,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I understand that you're not able to locate the 'Manage Scan to Computer' option for your  HP Photosmart 6510 e-All-in-One Printer on your Windows 8 computer. I would like to assist you today with this scan feature. Now, Scan to Computer is usually Enabled after installing the printer. This feature allows you to scan from the control panel of your printer. However, it does not affect scanning from the HP Scan software on your computer. I will be walking you through steps below to ensure that the HP Scan software is installed and functioning on your Windows 8 computer. Once we confirm that the actual HP Scan software is functioning I will be able to guide you to check the Scan to Computer feature. Please follow the steps below.

Step 1: Scan through HP Scan:

1. Click on the HP Printer Assistant software icon on your computer desktop

scan 1.png

2. When the HP Printer Assistant opens select Scan a Document or Photo. HP Scan will now open.

scan 2.png

3. When HP Scan opens select the scan option you wish to test on the left hand side.

scan 3.png

4. Load a piece of paper to test scan on the flatbed glass on your printer

5. Choose Scan under the HP Scan software

6. Once the scan is complete, click Save under the HP Scan software on your computer and you will be able to save the scan on your system

scan 7.png

If HP Scan scans your document successfully than we know the software is functioning as it should be. At this point we can take a look at the Manage Scan to Computer option.

1. Click on the HP Printer Assistant icon again

scan 1.png

2. Under the HP Printer Assistant click on Manage Scan to Computer

Untitled.png

3. Under the Scan to Computer window, if the feature shows as Disabled, click Enable. Make sure the box is checked for 'Automatically start Scan to Computer when I log on to Windows'. Click Close once changes have been made.

click the enable button

Once Scan to Computer has been enabled, please try scanning from the front panel of your HP Photosmart again. For full instructions on how to scan from the control panel of your Photosmart please click here.

Please respond to this post with the result of scanning through the HP Scan software and enabling Scan to Computer. Good luck! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

The first four options are there but there is not a Scan option under them like in your picture. There is also not the top row of icons such as ink levels etc. I have also tried to find the hp printer assistant but i can't hewlett packard. Very frustrating

Thanks

Di

HP Recommended

Hello @diragdoll,

Thanks for getting back to me regarding this issue.

Because you're lacking the full HP Printer Assistant software on your computer we will need to run some troubleshooting steps to get the Full Feature Software and Driver package installed and functioning on your computer before you're able to utilise the Scan feature. Can I please have you follow the steps below.

Step 1: Remove Drivers:

It is crucial for troubleshooting purposes that we have a clean slate to work with. Therefore, I will be having you remove any trace of your HP Photosmart from your computer.

1. Open your Start screen by selecting the Windows icon on the bottom left of your computer screen or by selecting the Windows key on the bottom left of your keyboard to the right of the Ctrl button
  2. Under the Start screen type Programs and Features. Click Programs and Features to launch it
  3. Scroll down the list of populated programs and look for your HP Photosmart 6510. If you see the printer, click on it and select Uninstall
  4. Once the uninstall is complete please close the Programs and Features window.

Please proceed to the next step.

Step 2: Clear Temp Files:

1. Open your Start screen by selecting the Windows icon on the bottom left of your computer screen or by selecting the Windows key on the bottom left of your keyboard to the right of the Ctrl button
  2. Under the Start screen type Run. Click Run to launch the Run dialogue box
  3. In the Run box type %temp% and select OK
  4. When the Temp folder opens, select Ctrl + A at the same time on your keyboard. Everything in this folder will now highlight.
  5. Select the 'delete' button on your keyboard. The Temp folder contains temporary internet files. No actual files or folders on your computer will be affected by deleting the Temp files. Should a Temp file still be used than you will automatically get the pop up to 'skip' that item.
  6. Close the Temp folder once it is emptied
  7. Right click the Recycling Bin on your desktop and select Empty Recycling Bin

Step 3: Install Device:

1. Please click here to download the latest drivers for your printer
  2. Once the download is complete please follow the onscreen instructions to install your printer
  3. Once the installation is complete you will have the HP Photosmart Printer Assistant icon on your desktop. It should look exactly like this:

scan 1.png

Now you should be able to open the HP Printer Assistant icon and see all of the options included in my screenshots from my prior post. Please follow the steps I previously provided to perform a Scan through the HP Scan software. Once software functionality has been proven you should have no issues scanning from the front panel of your printer.

Please let me know if these steps work for you. I look forward to hearing from you! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

The printer is not listed in the programs and features  window. The only one listed is hp support solutions framework. I'm also a little concerned about deleting the printer as it does print just won't scan and I need it to still print.

Thanks

Di

HP Recommended

Hey @diragdoll,

Because your printer fails to show under the Programs and Features window, it indicates that your printer was 'added' into your Windows computer. Therefore, you have no software and driver package installed.

If you delete the printer, when we install it using the correct driver package I provided you will gain all of your printing abilities back, plus some added features that you may not have by adding your printer to your Windows system with a generic driver.

You can leave you printer on your computer, but you will have duplicates of your printer installed after you run the installer package I provided. If you delete those duplicates after the install is complete, it may cause an issue with your software package. Therefore, it is best to delete your printer from Devices and Printers before reinstalling using the driver I provided.

Good luck! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Now the printer lists my laptop under scan but it says error when I try to scan and also now my PC is not listed under scan.  Can it only have one computer listed under scan at a time?

Thanks

Di

HP Recommended

Thanks for that. I have uninstalled all hp as you outlined above then reinstalled via the link you gave me. It printed from my laptop to printer and it scanned from my laptop to printer but it still won't scan from the printer control panel. At least i am halfway there. Yes I clicked on enable scan to computer and it still says scan to computer is currently unavailable. Thanks

Di

HP Recommended

I have done all you said and I can print and scan from my laptop now. Thanks. But I still can't scan from the printer to my laptop. It sais scan to computer is current;y unavailable.

Di

HP Recommended

Hey @diragdoll,

Thanks again for getting back to me regarding this issue. I'm happy to hear that you are able to scan from the laptop to the printer, and that printing works fine. In regards to the Scan to Computer feature being 'unavailable' there still may be a program or setting issue that is causing a two-way communication conflict.

To resolve any additional communication issues that may be affecting the scan feature on the front panel of your printer, can I please have you click here. Once the support document opens please select Windows 8 as your Operating System. Next, choose your connection type: Network or USB. Please follow the steps listed to resolve this scan issue.

Please let me know if these steps resolve the front panel scan conflict. Best of luck! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.