Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My printer was working fine, then it had a pretty bad paper jam.  I cleared all of the jammed paper, but now I have an error message that says, "The printhead appears to be missing, not detected, or incorrectly installed."  I have tried everything - removing the ink cartridges, removing the ink carriage, reinstalling the carriage and ink, restarting the printer, etc...  Nothing seems to be working.  Do I need to purchase a new print head?  Is there anything else I can do to fix this?

53 REPLIES 53
HP Recommended

Sorry that you are having a problem with the 8600 print head. You may have to get another print head. 

First, try the link below. It may help you with this situation. 

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02899429

""Click on the WHITE STAR if you would like to say THANKS""

Let me know if this helps. 

**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Please mark a reply "ACCEPTED AS SOLUTION" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
HP Recommended

same error.   7 mos out of warranty   - printer asked me to change black cartridge because was empty, then proceeded to say all the others needed to be replaced within minutes, then got error saying missing or failed print head.   i can see that all of the new cartridges are full now but says failed print head.   been thru all the tech support videos and instructions that were great but did not work.   did partial reset with tech support and was on phone for 1.5 hrs and now printer will not get past print head error to get to other menus.

why would i spend $120 on a replacement print head if i dont know if that is the problem?  

one solution would be to try someone elses print head and see if it corrects the problem.  what do you think?

HP Recommended

what should i do - pay $120 for a new print head or $149 for a new printer!!   

C 'mon buddy be honest.....

HP Recommended

Sorry so late for the response. If you had a choice between getting a print head at $120 or a printer at $149, I would stick with the new printer. 

It will be under warranty, and everything would be new start. 

Have you tried looking up a new print head, because, usually they don't run the high for a 8600. Most are the prices between, ($40-70). 

What is your product number on the back of the printer. I could check for you. 

**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Please mark a reply "ACCEPTED AS SOLUTION" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
HP Recommended

This is exactly what happened to me.  Replaced Magenta and then started getting printhead errors and I can do nothing with this printer.  I am only 3.5 months out of warranty.  Are you serious, the answer is to buy a new printer?????  I just replaced the last ink cartridge that came with my new 8600 printer and now your answer is to go out and buy a new 8600 printer.  I bought an HP because I thought you guys had a good reputation.  No way an 8600 printhead should fail with light use (lets see how many pages can be printed with the supplied ink cartridges when purchased new - not many) 3 months after warranty.   Why would a printhead that was working perfectly fine before I replaced the last ink cartridge that was supplied at purchase.  Something seems hinkey about this.

HP Recommended

Hi every one

I have a problem with my printer's printhead and I have been adviced to buy a new one which is not available here at my country. I need an online supplier to order it from.. cause there are no sellers here to buy from! and how much do you think will it cost me?

HP Recommended

THis exact same thing just hapened to me! help!

HP Recommended

Hello owensfamily.

I understand you are receiving the same message on your printer, but I need to find out what printer model you have. Please click on this website so I can find out this information: Model Number.

I'm going to provide you an HP document that will help you on this issue. Please follow the entire document: Missing or Failed Printhead.

If you have any other question please let me know.

Ashley

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

one month out of warranty and on my third print head before I realized this must be HP's business model. The second print head did not have a warranty since the device was under warranty, HP would not honor the normal warranty that printheads carry.  So yes, the new print head for the HP is $140 this month.  It had been less last year, around $125.  Three paper jams = three printheads.  This was not taken into consideration when Consumer Reports classified it as a good buy. The only thing it is reliable to do is need more printheads.

Cyber shopping today for anythign BUT an HP to replace the expensive to operate 8600.  The money is not near as concerning as the multiple days with customer service.  

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.