Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8720
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am having a curious problem that just popped up.  I own an Officejet Pro 8720

Recently when I have been printing an envelope I am experiencing missing parts of the return address and outgoing address.  These missing spaces have had a box shape--in other words  the box has right angles.  Looks like a small rectanguler box with 90 degree angles.

Has anyone experienced this problem and what works to fix the problem?

LKM49

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@LKM49

Thank you for posting on HP Forums, 

Riddle_Decipher is at your service. 

As I Understand the printer is missing spaces when printing envelopes,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Does it print find in via normal paper, apart from envelopes?

If the issue persists in all forms of paper: Click here to troubleshoot and fix the print quality issues.

Keep me posted for further assistance 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Good morning Riddle_Decipher

I apoligize for taking so long to respond. I was swamped last Friday and was not able to respond to your reply.

Yes I can print with regular printer/copy paper.

The problem seems to happen when I have 8 to 10 envelopes in the feeder tray.  But if I cut back to only  1 to maybe 3 envelpoes the problem does not show.

Another situation I have expereinced is when the envelope is delivered to the recieving tray, a lot of times the envelope only gets about 1/2 way out and then I have to pull it the rest of the way out of the pronter.

I really like my 8720.  It's a good machine but I have a couple of nuisance problems.

Thanks for your help....LKM49

HP Recommended

@LKM49

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

Please ensure the paper type used for printing envelopes matches the paper-handling specifications supported by your printer: (as mentioned below)

U.S. 10 envelope

105 x 241 mm (4.1 x 9.5 inches)

A2 envelope

111 x 146 mm (4.4 x 5.8 inches)

DL envelope

110 x 220 mm (4.3 x 8.7 inches)

C5 envelope

162 x 229 mm ( 6.4 x 9.0 inches)

C6 envelope

114 x 162 mm (4.5 x 6.4 inches)

Monarch envelope

98 x 191 mm (3.9 x 7.5 inches)

6 3/4 envelope

92 x 165 mm (3.62 x 6.5 inches)

Chou #3 envelope

120 x 235 mm (4.7 x 9.3 inches)

Chou #4 envelope

90 x 205 mm (3.5 x 8.1 inches)

If the above matches the paper used, you may start with performing a hard reset to release excessive static from the printer:

1. Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.

2. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

3. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

4. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

5. Wait at least 60 seconds.

6. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

NOTE:

HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.

7. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

8. Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.

9. Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Click here & perform only the steps listed under (Step 3-Clean the paper feed rollers) to resolve th...

Keep me posted for further assistance 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Good afternoon Riddle_Decipher.

Since I am in the middle of the day and I have a pile of stuff on my desk, I won't be able to hard start the machine until tomorrow.

I'll let you know what happens.

Also. Thanks for the cleaning information.  I knew that the rollers should be cleaned but I did not lift the cover over the ink. On a previous printer a salesman suggested using rubbing alcohol.  Any thoughts on rubbing alcohol or strictly use just water?

Thanks...LKM49

HP Recommended

@LKM49

Thank you for replying,

Please take your time and get back to me with the results,

I'll be awaiting your response and would be glad to help,

That said, about using the rubbing alcohol, I must let you know that HP normally suggests:

1. Suggested cleaning materials:

• Clean, lint-free cloth or paper (Coffee filters and eye-glass cleaning cloth work well.)

• Distilled or bottled water

2. Lightly dampen a clean, lint-free cloth, and then wipe the electrical contact area from the bottom to the top. Do not clean beyond the edge between the nozzles and the electrical contacts. Clean until no new ink shows on the cloth.

Let me know how that works out, keep me in the loop and Good luck! 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.