cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    HP Solution Center Adobe Flash player error

Please check this document to find the workaround solution for Print and Scan - HP Solution Center doesn't open

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    HP Solution Center Adobe Flash player error

Please check this document to find the workaround solution for Print and Scan - HP Solution Center doesn't open

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Level 1
3 2 1 1
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Solved!

... My BRAND NEW HP Officejet Pro 8630 won't load photo paper ...

HP Recommended

I just purchased an HP Officejet Pro 8630 and it will NOT print on HP Premium Plus Photo paper or a generic brand of photo paper.  I just unboxed and set up all the web parameters.  Printing on regular paper works just fine; however, when I place a small load of ~20 sheets of photo paper in the TOP tray, the printer attempts to load then presents and "Out of Paper" error message.  I can then immediately turn around and put a single or stack of regular paper in the top tray and the printer will print.  I've tried a single sheet of photo paper on a stack of regular, removing the stack of photo papers and loosening the stack to insure they aren't stuck together, as well as powering off the printer and cleaning ALL rollers per HP's instructional video and it still DOES NOT WORK... (out of paper message).

I had the same exact issue with a Officejet Pro 8600 this printer just replaced.  I had a similar but even more frustrating issue with the HP 8500Pro; neither of them will load photo paper properly.  I am sure to choose the appropriate paper type via the application's print menu and I've even attempted to choose 'regular' paper types.  No solution has worked.  I'm going to take my stack of photo papers to the store chain I purchased the printer from as they have the same 8630 model on display.  I'll then attempt to print a test sheet from theirs to see if the same error occurs.  If it works there, I'll assume this points to poor HP quality control and promptly return my printer.  If theirs does not load, I'll have them pull some photo paper off their shelf and try again.

Please assist...

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Author
Level 1
3 2 1 1
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Update:

I went back to the store I purchased the printer from.  They had Xerox 80 lb. stock in the Tray 1 and it printed w/o issue.  I took a stack of my HP Premium Plus Photo Paper (~20 sheets), removed theirs, and inserted mine into Tray 1.  It would not load the paper and gave the same "out of paper" error.  A sales associate experienced the same issue.  She then removed all the paper except just one sheet of my Photo paper; it then printed.  It printed all the way up to 4 sheets being inserted at the same time in the Tray.  Any more than 3 sheets caused the printer to fail at loading the paper.  This sounds like a defect with HP's loading mechanism.  I noticed that the Xerox 80 lb. paper felt slightly thinner than my photo paper so I purchased HP's Advanced Photo Paper (66lb) as opposed to the Premium Plus.   I took a stack of about 15 sheets to the printer and loaded it.  It seemed to load okay and did not fail with an error. 

HP... you've had several lines of OfficeJet Pro's to get it right and it seems like you're still dropping the ball with a defective printer product.  Where's your quality control?

1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I found the following posted by a reviewer on Amazon and have confirmed that it works (substitute "photo paper" for "envelopes") ...

"If you print envelopes a lot, like I do, I think it works well using the two-tray 8630 version. Here's how I did it. Plain Paper goes into tray two, envelopes in tray one (only place they are supported). Now, on the display choose your Default Tray as Tray 2 and Lock Tray 1. This will make sure regular print jobs go to plain paper in tray 2 and if it runs out of paper the printer won't automatically pull from tray 1 (that's what tray lock means).

Now, via the Web Interface for the printer I told it that Tray 2 has plain letter size paper, and Tray 1 has my envelopes (you specify size there). Now, when I print an envelope it knows to pull from Tray 1 and everything else goes to Tray 2. On my Mac I've never had to tell it what tray to use, the printer just knows and pulls from the correct location. Your mileage may vary, etc."

Eric H answered on February 6, 2015

0 Kudos
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your post. I too am having the same issue. I had a tech come to my home and do an installation never thinking to check if the photo paper would work. It did not, which is dissapointing. I was ready to call him to come back and figure out the problem. You would think that they would have an issue like this figured out. I am going to attempt the hp paper and see what happens. I loaded 1,2 ,3 and 4 sheets and it did not work it is the Staples brand. Thank you as I thought I was going NUTS! I will let you know my results.

0 Kudos
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Update. I went to the store today where of course as the previous poster mentioned  another photo paper did not work. The gentlmen put in a couple of sheets of the HPAdvanced photo paper glossy and it worked. Now when I got home it was still not good with the HP advanced photo paper. I played around with it for another couple of hours. Bottom line is two sheets at a time max in the small tray however you can not to set it on 8.5 x 11, you need to put in two sheets at a time max then reset the size and set it above the two round circles in the tray (making the bin smaller so the paper hangs off the top of the tray). I wasted countless hours trying to make it work and this solution I found by accident. Fortunately I rarely have to print photos but for the price I paid for the printer it should work correctly. I would have returned it however I am not tech savy and had to pay someone to set it up, wirelessly and was not going to buy a different printer and have someone set up another one. What a shame that they have not perfected the way these all-in -one products work. For the $$$ I would not recommend it especially if you have to print color photos. Photos came out beautiful on the HP Advanced Photo Paper however it is a real hassle loading in 2 pages at once and then to keep loading in two pages at a time.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation