cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Ruaridh
Level 2
27 18 0 3
Message 1 of 15
Flag Post

My C4680 rattles like a machine-gun when about to do anything

HP Recommended
Photosmart C4680
Windows 8.1

Whenever the printer is about to do anything - when I turn it on, or when, once already turned on, I send a document to it - i.e., I suppose, when it is initializing - it makes a series of loud rapping sounds, maybe 10 of them in a second or so. But then it functions quite normally.
This started to happen a couple of days ago.
It worries me: it does sound as though something is breaking or has broken, even though so far nothing malfunctions.
Any idea what's going on?

14 REPLIES 14
VK14
Level 6
Level 6
418 412 23 70
Message 2 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Kindly follow these steps to resolve the noisy operation issue.

1.Check the noise goes away with the toner cartridges removed.

2.Check if non-HP (remanufactured) toner cartridge is being used.

3.Attempt to identify when and where the noise occurs (i.e., during power up, only while printing, during page output)

4. Check for any obstacles or packing materials on the paper path.

Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the "thumps Up icon" .

Click "Accept as Solution" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Thumbs Up icon in the post that helped you.
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Ruaridh
Author
Level 2
27 18 0 3
Message 3 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi VK14
Thanks for this
1. C4680 doesn't use toner - it's inkjet. However, if I take the cartridges out and turn off & on again, I still get the rattle.
2. ink cartridges in place are HP.
3. I already told you: it occurs:
    * on power-up
    * when a document is sent to it - this means before it actually starts to print, which it then does OK
4. obstacles in the paper path ? well, if it hasn't yet started the physical act of printing, the paper is not yet moving down its path, so it's not going to encounter any obstacles. However, I've had another look where you would for paper-jams - nothing there.

And still it rattles.

Any further ideas?

Ruaridh

PrinterMechanic
Level 3
Level 3
20 20 2 4
Message 4 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Ruaridh,

I think I am familiar with the sound you are describing and it usually means that there is something interfering with the movement of either the carriage or the servicing mechanism (usually the carriage).  open the lid and check that there isn't anything that would interfere with the carraige holding the pens from traveling fully to teh left in the mechanism.  And then if you can check that there isn'tanything jammed between the carriage/pens and the right side of the mechanism.  If that is all clear check that the mechansim that caps and services the pens doesn't have anything in there. 

It could be that a piece of paper has become jammed in these areas and is difficult to see or other objects can often "migrate" into these areas and cause problems (paper clips, pens, ...)

I hope this helps.

I work for Hewlett-Packard.
Ruaridh
Author
Level 2
27 18 0 3
Message 5 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi PrinterMechanic

Now, after messing about with the cartridges in line with the response I first got,
I have tried printing a small file from Excel such as would have been perfectly normal a couple of days ago.
Now I no longer get the rattle: instead, a sheet of paper advances itself far enough to be just showing from the output slot, the display panel shows "Printing", and showed that for a full hour before I turned it off!
Something similar when I tried to do a Copy, which I eventually 'Cancel'ed.
Then I got your very sensible suggestions.
Then I turned the machine off again, examined all I could get to through the front, had another look in the back in the jammed paper area, tipped it on its side and shook it about a bit - no sign of any loose detritus - turned it on again: now, when turned on, it of its own accord picks up a sheet of paper, advances it so a couple of inches are showing in the output slot, and stops: turn it off & on again, and it completes that page throw and then repeats the couple-of-inches-output game.
The carriage has migrated to the right-hand side, rather than centring itself as it should do when I open the cover.

Just to add insult to the rest: while I was messing about with it all, I pulled the paper-tray extender out just because I came across a bit of manual that told me to do so, and now I can't get it to go back - it's locked in the open position. I have never worked with that extended, and I don't want to, and I can't fit the printer back into where I usually stow it with that extended. How the heck do I unlock it and fold it away???

Is this printer, which has given me excellent use for a few years, just suddenly giving up and crying out to be replaced?

Or do I just need a new brain?

Ruaridh

PrinterMechanic
Level 3
Level 3
20 20 2 4
Message 6 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am sorry you are having so many troubles with your printer.

As for the paper tray extension, try gripping it firmly near the pivot point and pulling or pushing on it as you attempt to rotate it. 

The unit seems to be loading the sheet as it should and appears to be in position to start printing.  When you power down and back up it sees this remaining pieve of paper as a jam and clears it and then likely loads another sheet in an attempt to finish the print job.

The carriage position worries me. It seems to have lost it's homing position.  this can happen due to the carriage being obstructed in some way or if the encoder strip for the carriage is damaged or dirty.  If the carriage is not moving at all (maybe why it stopped making noises) it may be that the belt that drives the carriage has been dislodged or damaged.

Does the carriage still move?

Ruaridh
Author
Level 2
27 18 0 3
Message 7 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for that, PrinterMechanic

Tried doing that with the paper-tray extension, but I still can't get it to move.

Back to the main story:
It's still happening that if I turn off, load paper, and turn on again, it loads paper till there's a couple of inches coming out, and stops; turn it off & on again, and it completes that page-throw and repeats the couple-of-inches-output game.

Yes, the carriage is moving. It's off to the right if I open the cover while the prinyer's playing the couple-of-inches-output game. But if I remove all paper and open the cover, it centres itself fine. And if I then shut the cover again, it homes itself over to the left. So it seems as though it should be OK - but if I try my print from Excel again, it does the same game.

Aaaaargh!!!
Ruaridh

PrinterMechanic
Level 3
Level 3
20 20 2 4
Message 8 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry about the extension.  I am not sure what to do about that.

You are being a champ at trying to resolve this.  Thanks for your patience.

As for the other problem; it is likely one of two things.  Either the printer is not properly sensing that the media has been fed (unlikely since this should generate a paper jam or out of paper message) or the printer is having problems with the carriage location.

One problem may be with the encoder that senses th carriage position.  The link below will explain how to clean a carriage encoder, but be cautious - they are often hard to get to and can be quite fragile.  Sometimes ink residue/aerosol and/or oil/grease will get on the encoder strip and cause the carriage to get "confused" about its position

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Printing-Questions/HELP-Blurry-mid-page-printing/m-p/311515#M2102...

Ruaridh
Author
Level 2
27 18 0 3
Message 9 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK, thanks for your patience in trying to help.

I am willing to have a go at cleaning the encoder;

first, though : I have seen somewhere something about carrying out on these printers something like a hard reboot.

Have you the details of what to do to achieve this?

Either way,I'm leaving off for tonight: it's getting late and my wife's getting impatient over here in England

Thanks very much

Ruaridh

PrinterMechanic
Level 3
Level 3
20 20 2 4
Message 10 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The hard boot process is pretty simple.  You can open the door and let the carriage move out of the service station area.  Then unplug the printer (do not use the power button) after a few seconds plug the printer back in and the mech should go thru a reboot process.  I should have verified that you had done this as a first step - sorry about that.

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation