Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Top Student
Message 1 of 14 (1,853 Views)

My C5280 reads out of paper but it isn't

Hi, My 5280 All in One says Out of Paper but it is not out. It will print a "self -test report" and it printed an alignment page but will not print anything else. when I try to print a picture it says out of paper. Any ideas? Thanks Billyo396  P.S. I have windows 7 64 bit, and it worked fine until today when for no apparent reason I got these out of paper messages, I have cleaned evrything and reset it, I'm at a loss as what to try next.

0 Kudos
Master's Graduate
Message 2 of 14 (1,831 Views)

Re: My C5280 reads out of paper but it isn't

Do you have another cartridge to try?

Top Student
Message 3 of 14 (1,830 Views)

Hi, Another ink cartridge? Yes I have a black XL, should I install it? I'll wait to hear back from you before I do.

Master's Graduate
Message 4 of 14 (1,825 Views)

sure, that will work, I was thinking that if the cart was bad it can mess up the whole thing so might as well rule that out first.

Top Student
Message 5 of 14 (1,824 Views)

Hi,

The cart seems to work fine, when I cleaned the rollers I also reset it by unplugging the power cord from the back and from the wall. When I powered up again, the cartridges moved back and forth and when they stopped on the right side of the machine,  the rollers kicked in and they too appeared to be working well. I "aligned" the machine and a sheet of paper went through with the alignment printed on it perfectly. Then I tried to print another picture and it wouldn't feed the paper, and it said "out of paper" and nothing happened, it made some noises then it stopped with that messages. 

I tried to "cancel all print jobs", and they all cancelled except for the initial one from last night which reads "deleting" except that it hasn't deleted for 24 hours now. Aaaaaaargh! I'll put in the cartridge and let you know what happens, but right now I'm going to cook some supper, thanks for your help!

Billyo

Top Student
Message 6 of 14 (1,822 Views)

Hi, I tried installing a new cartridge, and after it was in the printer automatically printed the alignment page, which came out great, and the printer had no problemwith the paper, but when I tried to print another image from my computer (as I have done a gazillion times before this problem arose) the printer made some noise as the cartridge cart went back and forth, and then it sounded as if the rollers were turning, but then the printer stopped, and I got another "out of paper" message.

Master's Graduate
Message 7 of 14 (1,816 Views)

Do it again or whatever you have to do to get the rollers moving and once they are moving put the paper in.  Hopefully once it grabs paper while rolling that will fix it.

Provost
Message 8 of 14 (1,812 Views)

By reading your comments, it might be related to the driver settings on your computer, as the device seems to function correctly as stand alone.

In order to eliminate any hardware issue, please try coping 5-6 copies while the scanner glass is empty (Just not to waste ink)

If there is no issue while not using the PC, the issue might caused by the software or any communication issue.

Have you installed the C5280 full feature or might simply connected the printer by using the included OS driver?

Is you Windows7 installation is clean or an upgrade from any earlier OS?

Make sure the USB cable is directly connected to your PC, any USB hub may affect the communication..

From the control panel, enter the Printers screen, right click the printer icon and select Printing Preferences

Make sure the paper size is set manually (more likely as A4) and not as automatic

As well, in order to deny the paper being picked from the photo tray as exmple, try configuring the paper source as the main tray and not as Automatic, then try printing.

If any of those steps won't help, please clarify how did you installed the printer.

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos thumb up in the post.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution :)
Top Student
Message 9 of 14 (1,805 Views)

Hi Shlomil,( Shlamozlle?),

Thanks for the suggestions, unfortunately I've done what you suggested already without success, I've been using this same printer almost every day since July of '08 (I had the reciept taped to the back of the machine. I have the paper size as being 8.5 x 11, and from the main tray. I just made 5 copiesof nothing as you suggested with no problems, but when I tried to print an image from the computer, again it tells me that I'm out of paper!

I am connected directly to the computer, in fact as far as I can tell every thing is the same as it always has been except for this no paper message. I have been using Windows 7 for about ten months without any problems. I don't recall how I installed the printer, like I say it has worked fine daily up until this problem arose yesterday!

Thanks again,

Billyo

Master's Graduate
Message 10 of 14 (1,800 Views)

I thought Shlomi's idea would work, oh well, give this a whirl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRo5vCFzueE

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation