cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
laurensbubbe
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My G3010 scanner suddenly stopped working yesterday.

ScanJet G3010
Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite

I can't remember how long ago I bought my scanenr, but it has been a reliable workhorse ever since — until yesterday, when it suddenly stopped working.

I have checked all the connections,  but they seem to be OK; however while I can  open the scanner  on my desktop, I receive an Error Message that says the imaging device was not found.

Since the  scanner worked perfectly yesterday, I don't see how  it could be a problem with the software, but I do still have the last disk I received from HP. Unfortunately, it is Version  9.2 doe Mac OS 10.3.9 and my Mac  is using  Yosemite (10.10.3).

It looks like  HP does not have an update for that yet.

I have 60 slides sitting on my desk waiting to be scanned imemdiately. . . but also use mys canenr for other projects almost daily.

Any and all suggestions would be much appreciated. 

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 5 FretnBoutNutn
Level 5
150 147 11 56
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi laurensbubbe,

I'm happy that your scanner has worked well for you up to this point.  Sorry you are now having troubles.  Like you, I'm slightly skeptical that this is a software problem given the sudden change.  Do you have automatic OS updates enabled?  In some cases this might result in behavior changes, but typically not this severe.

Unfortunately, due to it's age, the Scanjet G3010 scanner is no longer actively supported with new HP software releases.

One suggestion that I can offer, assuming you have Time Machine backups enabled, is for you to try rolling back to a snapshot of your Mac when scanning was still working.  This would at least help to determine whether the change in behavior was due to a software change or a device hardware failure.

Another thought is that USB cables can sometimes fail.  If you have another cable that you could try it might be worth checking it out.

Hope this helps,

FretnBoutNutn
I work for HP.

- Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
- Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

0 Kudos
Level 2 The_Quan
Level 2
18 18 1 1
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Lauren,

The first thing we have to check is if the scanner is working properly so I would like you to turn the scanner off and then hold down the scan to email and scan to PDF buttons and then turn the scanner on and hold the buttons until the unit started moving the lamp from one side to the other one and must be light up.

If the unit is not able to do this action, the unit may be defective.

If it does moved the lamp and light up properly, the only option is to try with the software for MAC OS 10.6 and then run the patch for 10.8, worth taking the risk

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=1849439&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4082

Unfortunately there's no software available for Yosemite.

Regards,

I am an HP employee
0 Kudos
laurensbubbe
2 1 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions. Miraculously, my scanner started to work again.I'm not sure what happened, but I did  check all the cable  on the scanner . . . turned it  on and off a few times  . ..and  realized that since I usually just scan printed copy and images and this time I  to scan slides), pressing that second button on the front of the scanner (the one with a filmstrip and slide icon) was worth a try.

Although  the lamp had not lit up at all before that and  the "tray" was not moving  before I pressed those buttons, I can't say that's what fixed the problem. Everything seems to be working again.

In the process, I also discovered that I didn't need a separate slide scanner (as I had thought, because it was built into the lid. Once I removed the white cover, I was able to scan the slides  by positioning it manually on the glass — because both  sections of the frame I had removed were smaller than the cardboard frame on the  slide,

I also read that it was necessary to remove the "tape" on one side, but the only thing resembling tape was a 3-sided dark strip of "something" that appeared to be permanently attached.

The online  instruction sheet  could have used  a better diagram to refer to the various parts.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation