Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a Deskjet 6940. It had been printing very quickly but now is barely moving. I don't know if something has  changed in my system or what. I even reloaded the SW. I have it set for Fast Draft but it just chugs along. Not at all like it was before.

I need some help since I print a lot everyday and need it to print quickly.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Does the printer print a swath, then wait 10-15 seconds before the next swath?  If so then one of the cartridges may have failed.  To troubleshoot this remove one of the cartridges and try printing in reserve mode.  If this prints at near normal speeds then the cartridge you removed will need to be replaced.  If the printer is still very slow then replace the original cartridge and remove the other cartridge.  If this prints at normal speed then the cartridge you have now removed is at fault.

(Note:  when printing text in reserve mode with only a color cartridge installed the printing will be somewhat slower than normal, but not very slow.)

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

71 REPLIES 71
HP Recommended

Does the printer print a swath, then wait 10-15 seconds before the next swath?  If so then one of the cartridges may have failed.  To troubleshoot this remove one of the cartridges and try printing in reserve mode.  If this prints at near normal speeds then the cartridge you removed will need to be replaced.  If the printer is still very slow then replace the original cartridge and remove the other cartridge.  If this prints at normal speed then the cartridge you have now removed is at fault.

(Note:  when printing text in reserve mode with only a color cartridge installed the printing will be somewhat slower than normal, but not very slow.)

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Bob,

Thank you for the information. I tried your suggestion about the cartridges and got the same results. I even put the old cartridge back into the printer and got the same results. I spoke to someone at Staples and they said the board in the printer might have failed and that printers are not worth trouble shooting and repairing. I went into the properties for my printer on the computer and made sure that everything is set for "fast draft". At least I think I have everything specified correctly. Any further suggestions that you can provide would be appreciated. I don't want to spend the money for a new printer if it is not necessary. It is just sort of a mystery why it was printing properly until I changed the cartridge.

Thanks again for your help

HP Recommended

Thank you for the information. I tried your suggestion about the cartridges and got the same results. I even put the old cartridge back into the printer and got the same results. I spoke to someone at Staples and they said the board in the printer might have failed and that printers are not worth trouble shooting and repairing. I went into the properties for my printer on the computer and made sure that everything is set for "fast draft". At least I think I have everything specified correctly. Any further suggestions that you can provide would be appreciated. I don't want to spend the money for a new printer if it is not necessary. It is just sort of a mystery why it was printing properly until I changed the cartridge.

When you say "I tried your suggestion about the cartridges and got the same results" do you mean that the printer prints very slowly with both cartridges, and with only the black installed, and with only the color installed?   Please watch the carriage as the printer prints a page - does it pause for 10 seconds or so at the end of every swath?  About how many swaths does it take to print a normal page of text?

Regards,
Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

Bob, I appreciate your advice but I just bought a new printer. I don't have time to mess around with something that is giving me trouble.

Thanks again,

Lew

HP Recommended

2110 all in one prints then stops, then prints, then stops.  Any suggestions?

HP Recommended

@wdaley wrote:

2110 all in one prints then stops, then prints, then stops.  Any suggestions?

Read my responses in this thread.  Likely one of your cartridges has failed, I would suspect the black one.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem with slow printing and pausing with an HP 7410.  It was working perfectly up until a few days ago.  It is networked via cable, but have the same problem if changed to wireless.

I have changed the print cartridges.  This printer will not allow me to print with only one cartridge.  This did not change anything.

I have completely un-install and re-installed the software.  Same print problem.

When sending a 1.34mb picture for print, the print job indicates over 23mb of data is being sent.

HP Recommended

My 7410 All-in-One is exhibiting the same difficulty described by others in this thread. It prints VERY slowly, typically pausing for 10 or 15 seconds after each line is completed before beginning the next line. Interestingly, it frequently accelerates to regular speed as it nears the end of each page (almost as if to underscore what it's capable of doing when and if it's in the mood!).  I tried printing with each of the two cartridges removed in turn, as was suggested, but the printing speed remained consistently slow throughout. Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

HP Recommended

@TomMar wrote:

I am having the same problem with slow printing and pausing with an HP 7410.  It was working perfectly up until a few days ago.  It is networked via cable, but have the same problem if changed to wireless.

I have changed the print cartridges.  This printer will not allow me to print with only one cartridge.  This did not change anything.

I have completely un-install and re-installed the software.  Same print problem.

When sending a 1.34mb picture for print, the print job indicates over 23mb of data is being sent.

The Officejet 7410 will complain if a cartridge is removed but it will still print from the computer.  (It will not make a copy with only one cartridge).  What are your print settings for paper type and quality?  If you are printing in 2400dpi mode it will take some time to transfer the data and print.  Are you seeing a 10-15 second pause at the end of each sweep of the printhead?

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.