Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 4 (491 Views)

My computer doesn't print color

Product Name: Color laserjet Pro MFP M177fw
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (32-bit)

My printer wont print in color from the hard wired MS Windows 8 Computer networked to it. The computer will print in color to another older HP laserprinter. The printer will scan and print in color from the photocopier, and will print in color from OS 10.10.5 Mac computers. I have tried reinstalling the printer drivers on the PC and have restarted both the printer and computer. Help!

0 Kudos
Retired
Message 2 of 4 (464 Views)

Re: My computer doesn't print color

Hi @Miriammac,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! I see that you are experiencing issues printing in color from the PC. But you can print in color from the Mac and you can also scan and copy in color. Thanks for providing that detailed information. I will do my best to assist you with this issue. If this helps you to reach a solution, please click the "Accept as Solution" button down below in this message. If you wish to say thanks for my effort to help, click the " Thumbs Up " to give me a Kudos. Smiley Happy

Please double check the print settings for the driver. From the application, go to File, Print, Preferences. On the Paper/Quality tab, make sure the color is selected and the correct media and quality settings.

m177 paper quality.png

Make sure the Grayscale is off, from the Advanced button window.

m177 advanced.png

Source: COLOR LASERJET PRO MFP.

If you are still having issues, download and run the Print and Scan Doctor, it will diagnose the issue and might automatically resolve it. What were the results when you ran the Print and Scan Doctor?

You may have to uninstall and reinstall the printer software if the settings are correct and you are still not able to print in color from the PC.

Please let me know the outcome and if there is anything else I can help you with. Thank you.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
Honor Student
Message 3 of 4 (441 Views)

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions. I ran the print and scan doctor and it reinstalled the drivers (not all the correct drivers were installed and the IP address was off) as well as checked the settings you suggested. Still got the same issue unfortunately. 

Going to try printer cables and printing wirelessly next, unless you have another path I should go down?

Retired
Message 4 of 4 (395 Views)

Hi @Miriammac,

Most likely all the files for the printer weren't uninstalled from the computer and installed properly.

I have provided some steps for backing up the registry and removing all the HP printer files, then you can do a clean install again of the printer software.

Back up the registry first, before attempting any of these steps. Back up the registry.

For non-HP computers without another HP printer installed:

Press the Windows key and R, the run box will open.

Type in regedit and press OK.

Click the + signs beside the following:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software and remove the HP/Hewlett-Packard folders.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE and remove the HP/Hewlett-Packard folders.

For HP computers or with multiple HP printers installed:

Press the Windows key and R, the run box will open.

Type in regedit and press OK.

Go to the Edit tab, then click on Find.

In the search box, type "Photosmart 5510"  and click Find Next.

Only certain ones will be relating to the printer, and they will have some indication in the description. When it finds one of the entries, and you have confirmed it is related to the printer, within a reasonable doubt, you can delete it by hitting Delete on the keyboard.

Once one entry is deleted, hit F3 on the keyboard, which stands for Find Next.

Repeat the process until all "Photosmart 5510" printer entries are deleted.

Restart the computer.

Unlock Hidden Administrator Account and install the printer on this account:

Note: Don't connect the USB cable in until prompted during the install.
Go to your Start menu and under the 'search programs and files' box type CMD.
CMD will populate as a search option above, just right click on it and 'run as administrator'.
Once CMD (Command Prompt) opens, type net user administrator /active:yes and hit enter.
Next, close CMD and restart your computer.
When your computer comes on log into the new account that should show. It will be called Administrator and will not have a password on it.
If your computer automatically logs into your account after restart than go to your start menu click the arrow beside 'shutdown' and choose 'switch user'. Now log into the Administrator account we just unlocked.
Under the Administrator account, install the printer software.
Test the printer.
To turn off the Admin account start back at step 1 and type in net user administrator /active:no.

Test the printer.

Let me know what the results are. Thank you.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation