cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
mrscst
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 18
Flag Post

My new wireless all-in-one printer keeps going offline with my lap top.

HP Recommended

I just recently bought a new All-in-One 4620 printer. It is working fine with the 2 wired desktops we have. It will work 50% of the time with my wireless laptop. It will work for 3 or 4 days with the laptop, then it will signal it is "offline" when a try to print something from it the next time.

My laptop is running Windows XP. The 2 desktops are running Windows XP and Windows 8, respectively. I have made sure the printer IP address is the same on all computers, including my laptop.

The printer is plugged into a surge protector--the same surge protector that is running the desktop Windows XP.

Currently using a Verizon FiOS router/modem (Actiontec), and I read a previous forum Q&A that talked about how to make sure the Actiontec was involved in some printer problems. Followed the instructions on that Q&A, and it got my wireless talking to my printer at that time. But, here we are again with the repeated offline problem.

To note, I have removed the printer hardware numerous times and re-downloaded it from the HP website (for some reason, my laptop will not open the HP CD that came with the printer anymore--it did during initial installation). Also, even when the printer will printer from my laptop, the HP diagnostic tool shows a blank space where a printer name should be when the window comes up that says "which printer would you like to connect to?"" There is no printer name visible in that space. 

Hope all this info helps.

0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
PrintDoc
Retired
Retired
20,467 20,434 1,425 4,887
Message 2 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Honestly, the solution to this probelm would be to get a better router, but.....

Download and run this: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03286146

What does it say?

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
0 Kudos
mrscst
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The print and scan doctor runs and says everything checks out normal, but when a run a run a "test printing" at the end of it, the document "fails to print". When I open the printer/scanner/fax  window, it says my printer is offline.  

0 Kudos
sabretooth04
Level 14
21,074 20,455 1,540 3,516
Message 4 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Try setting a static IP on the printer outside the DHCP range of the router.  Use a fixed channel like 1,6 or 11, never 'auto'.  Reboot router and printer and try to connect.  Now try.

mrscst
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I know how to find my IP address on the printer, but I don't know what a DHCP range is. Is that not normally a "static" IP address? Not sure what you mean about a fixed channel--what and where is that?
0 Kudos
sabretooth04
Level 14
21,074 20,455 1,540 3,516
Message 6 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You have to access your routers admin pages.  Refer to your routers manual for all information.

Printer does not maintain wireless connection.  

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02817031

Step 6 to set Static IP

In the router you can change your wireless channel too.

mrscst
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 7 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Thanks so much. I'll give that a try.
0 Kudos
leogalindo
1 1 0 0
Message 8 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

my hp4620 wireless printer went offline. how do i get back online and working?

0 Kudos
PrintDoc
Retired
Retired
20,467 20,434 1,425 4,887
Message 9 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What router?  What operating system?  What have you tried?

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
0 Kudos
AlanFrustrated
3 2 0 0
Message 10 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended
This is happening to me all the time. The only things hat gets the printer back is to recycle. Every trick I have seen fails and hp utility is useless in solving it. Simply. Every wireless device thinks that the printer is offline when it is not. I direct enabled e direct printing and can switch connection to that to print but it is a pain.
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation