Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

After stressing about this, I did what I consider MY RULE #1 (and preach about it and then forget); think Canadian accent:

"When in doot (doubt)...REBOOT"!  So I did.  The printer made some "working noises" and whatever "printer offline problem" was kicking my butt,  the printer reset itself (software or hardware) and I've had NO  problems since then .

I was frustrated enough that I was just going to spend cash I had no right to spend and buy a newer, more expensive printer.  I have 3 HPs (2 of them are the small deskjets) and an Epson (which I don't use because the paper is loaded from thr rear and I don't have the room).  All my printers come from the early ages of the digital cameras--buy a camera, get a free printer.  My #1 is  an F335; it prints, copies and scans like the workhorse it's always been.  I don't print photos, it sucks ink, but I hope it lasts forever.

This was too simple and may not be the answer for everybody, but I hope it will work for some of you.

HP Recommended

I went to control panel.  clicked on printer icon; right clicked "open"...there was no option to choose on-line".  Disconnected and reconnected router; shut down and restarted computer.  Can't figure what to do next.

HP Recommended

@Norma_Jean wrote:

My printer is offline, how do I get it back on line?

Please read this post then provide some details.  What printer model? What operating system? How is the printer connected - USB, wired LAN, Wireless LAN, bluetooth? Are there any error messages on the printer or computer screen?

If you are using Windows 7 or Windows 8 the diagnostics at  http://www.hp.com/go/tools may help resolve the issue.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I have a hp officejet 4500 wireless printer that says printer offline. How do  iget it online?

HP Recommended

I had to get a new computer because my old one just crashed or something. My new computer is an HP 110-023wb and it uses the Microsoft Windows 8 and of course I do not know much about it yet. I guess I did something to my HP Officejet 4500 printer because now I just get prompts that it is offline and will not print. What the hell do I do now to get it back online and I can start printing again. Thanks.

HP Recommended

I was lucky; I REBOOTED everything, andI love my ols printer again.  I know...too easy...but it worked.  If it hadn't worked, I'd have uninstalled and reinstalled the printer software.  Then I'd have thrown a whining hissy fit.  And started over.

HP Recommended

tuffnickel and BillParrott

I would suggest uninstalling your HP printer, restarting the computer and downloading and installing the new drivers for your printer. I am including a link below that will bring you to the appropriate drivers. You should not have to do anything to your printer if it was already working on your network.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=3986399&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us

Simply choose your operating system and click next. Then go down to where it says Drivers and download and install.

Please feel free to re-post if you have any further questions or concerns.

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Find out a bit more about me by checking out my profile!

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter
HP Recommended

@lesilove1 wrote:

How do I get my printer back online?

HP Recommended

Hi DorisG

I understand you need to be able to get your printer online.

You can try this url  to see if you can put the printer back online again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXJhtOd4IqA

Check connections if connected by usb cable or ethernet cable.

To be able to assist you better I will need the following information.

When is the last time it worked properly?
Have you made any changes to the computer? (new software, hardware)
Which printer do you have?
How is the printer setup? (usb, ethernet or wireless)
Do you have a valid ip address on the printer?

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I feel silly and lucky.  I shut everything down and rebooted.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.