Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I presume you're scanning over the network to your device, and haven't actually installed the HP drivers for the Officejet 8620 on your system.   This mode is definitely supported, but will result in the back side page being flipped by the device.   To remedy this, install the HP software and drivers (from hp.com support) for your device.   Then relaunch the HP Scan and Capture app, and go to settings.  You should now see a new entry for your Officejet 8620 device that shows it as "installed".   Select this device.    Now try duplex scanning, it should flip the backside page. 

I will make note of this behavior, we should be able to correct this in future releases.    Thanks!

I am an HP employee, however, this content reflects my personal opinion and is in no way associated with HP.
HP Recommended

Yes, drivers are installed and the correct device is identified and selected however with a single page double sided document, the scan for page two comes out upside down in the scanned PDF. This is not helpful. When can this bug be fixed? The APP is fantastic otherwise.

HP Recommended

Hi Mike-3330,

I just tested today on an OJ 8630 which also supports duplex and I wasn't able to reproduce this.   Question:  are your duplex pages book bound or tablet bound?  Book binding means that if you flip the page over on its long edge, the back side should appear upright.   Tablet binding means that if you flip the page over on its short edge, the back side page appears upright.    Our solution only supports book binding, as that is the most common form of a 2 sided page.    If your pages are tablet bound, they will need to be manually flipped.  And if this is the case, I can put a request in for a feature enhancement to see about adding a switch for this.      if this is not the case let me know, and I will have our test team verify on an OJ 8620 to see if we can reproduce this.

Thanks!

I am an HP employee, however, this content reflects my personal opinion and is in no way associated with HP.
HP Recommended

This is just one sheet of paper printed double sided with text that is read the right way up by turning the page like a book (Right to left - Long edge). If you were to duplex print the scanned PDF then it would need to be read by flipping the paper top to bottom (short edge). The PDF on screen just has page 2 upside down. I know I live in Australia but we still read things the right way up most of the time 😉

Basically the app is inverting the reverse side.

This is 100% reproducable and I can send you a scan if you wish

Is there a scanner setup option anywhere for duplex scanning?

HP Recommended

Is it possible to make a duplex scan with a photosmart 7520. It used to work under windows 7 and 8 with hp scan. Since HP Scan and Capture the option is gone. You still can select the option but the software doesn't compile recto-verso.

HP Recommended

Hi Mike-3330,

We tested with an OJ 8620 and could not reproduce this.   Can you try a few other options:

1) Use the "HP Scan" desktop software that should be installed on your system

2) Try Windows Fax & Scan (desktop) software

3)  Try the "Scan" app

In this forum thread, there's instructions on how to turn on logging for the HP Scan and Capture app.  I'd be curious to see those for your issue here.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hi GuyDC,

The photosmart 7520 does not support mechanical duplexing .  The SW that we shipped for the 7520 gave an option for manual duplexing, which was just a prompt to the user to flip the page and re-insert and scan again.  This can be accomplished in the same fashion with HP Scan and Capture manually.

HP Recommended

OK.  Results of tests:

Windows Fax and Scan on 2 different Windows 8 computers : Page 2 is upside down.

Windows Fax and Scan on a Windows 7 computer: Scanned correctly, page 2 is the right way up.

HP Scan on Windows 7 computer: Scanned correctly, page 2 is the right way up.

I uninstalled and then re-installed the printer and driver software from the Windows 8 PC's but still page 2 comes out upside down.

I am completely at a loss to know what to try next. Somehow, the drivers/software on Windows 8 are not behaving correctly.

What is the recommended method for cleanly uninstalling all the software? Is there a registry entry that could be set wrong? Desperate for ideas.

HP Recommended

OK, I have fixed it.

When the printer is installed, it creates two devices in "Devices and Printers": Fax - HP Officejet Pro 8620 (Network) and HP Officejet Pro 8620 (Network)

When you use scanning software (Windows Fax &  Scan or HP Scan and Capture), you are presented with Two scanning devices: HP Officejet Pro 8620 (NET) and HP Officejet Pro 8620 (Network)

The HP Officejet Pro 8620 (Network) appears first on the list thus appears like a default however the properties say this device is "Manufactured by Microsoft"  whereas the HP Officejet Pro 8620 (NET) properties say this device is "Manufactured by HP"

Selecting  HP Officejet Pro 8620 (Network) causes the reverse side to be inverted. Selecting HP Officejet Pro 8620 (NET) works correctly.

This is a real trap as the devices page leads you to believe that HP Officejet Pro 8620 (Network) is the one you need to select however this is wrong. Hope this helps others.

HP Recommended

Hi Mike-3330,

I didn't even think about this possibility, good catch.   The "(Network)" instance you found is from an automatically installed Microsoft WS-Scan driver for the device.   That driver which is provided by Microsoft does not have the functionality to flip the back side page automatically like our drivers do.    We will make note of this, and hopefully can provide an enhancement in the future to guide customers to the HP drivers for a better experience. 

Thanks!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.