Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 8710
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have a new 8710 which was purchased last month. While it will print from programs like paint acrobat reader, photoshop, notepad, IE; it will not print from MS Office programs like Word, Excel, etc or Wordpad which is really a scaled down version of MS Word.

I have uninstalled the printer driver, updated the firmware and download and installed the latest software, ran the latest version of print and scan doctor with no success.

I have also uninstalled and reinstalled the office programs and without success.

And assistance would be greatly  appreciated.

Environment: Window 7 64bit with all updates; Office 2010 with all updates; Networked OfficeJet 8710 printer on an Asus RT-N66U router

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello, @hp8710skip – Hope you are well 🙂

Thanks for joining the HP Support forums! I would glad to be of your assistance 🙂

I see that your HP Officejet 8710 printer is printing / scanning fine, but have issues while printing from the MS Office package. I would first suggest a clean install to get this issue fixed. Here are the steps:

• First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Officejet printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Go to Run again, type “%temp%” and press enter to get the temporary files. Delete all the files here. Skip the items which cannot be deleted.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Now click http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/OJ8710/OJ8710_Basicx64_1881.exe to install the software.
  • Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

If the issue persists, the issue could be with the printer permissions. I would suggest giving administrator permissions as suggested below:

• Press the "Windows logo key" + "r" to get “Run" - Type "spool" and press ok.
  • Right-click on "PRINTERS" - Select "Properties"
  • Select "Security" tab. You will find few entries like "Administrators" and "users", click on "Edit" and give "Full permission" to all the entries. Save / apply the settings.
  • Go to "Devices and printers", right-click on the new printer that you installed and select "Printer properties".
  • Select "Security" tab. You will find few entries like "Administrators" and "users", click on "Edit" and give "Full permission" to all the entries. Save / apply the settings.
  • Restart your computer and then try to print.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

I followed the above advice to no avail.

I did however after several days and trial and errors came up with a solution to my problem.

1. I determined the static range on our router

2. went to the printer and found its IP address

3. went to a PC that had connectivity to the printer and entered the IP address into a browser

4. when the printer's home page came up, I went to the network page; then IPv4 and entered a static IP from the range I determined on our router.

5. on the PC that had the connectivity issue, I deleted all references the the printer including the scanner and fax.

6. then add printer, and it found and installed it.

This is after hours playing with scan doctor and following tech supports advice to no avail.

Sad that HP manufacture devices that they can not support and depends on the consumer to fix the issues.

-Skip

HP Recommended

@hp8710skip,

Thank you for your reply, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that the issue still persists after following the steps provided in the previous interaction.

Let me jump in with a solution for this issue in place of my colleague as he is out of the office today.

Please follow the link: How to troubleshoot printing problems in Word

Let me know if this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.