Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 6 (2,434 Views)

Need printer driver for DeskJet 890C and Windows XP

I just picked up a DeskJet 890C. I know it's obsolete, but still better than the DeskJet 712C I was using. Is there a printer driver among those available for download that will work with this model and with Windows XP (actually XP Media Center, but who's counting)?

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 6 (2,431 Views)

Re: Need printer driver for DeskJet 890C and Windows XP

[ Edited ]

Should be included in Win XP.  Try here..

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bud09005

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Thumbs Up to the right in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as an Accepted Solution .
I used to work for HP but I saw the light and retired.

Printer Hint #1 - Always buy a printer with a display panel for easy configuration.
Printer Hint #2 - Always buy a printer with separate black and separate color cartridges.
Printer Hint #3 - Always buy a wireless printer with an Ethernet port for backup.
Special Hint: There is a 97.2% (and increasing) chance the information you seek is in the User Guide/Manual or on your printers HP Support Page. Remember, Google is your friend.
Honor Student
Message 3 of 6 (2,426 Views)

So maybe it's not a driver problem. I've tried reinstalling and selecting the 890C off the XP menu, but no dice. Nothing prints, no matter if it's a test page, or a document (Word or Excel) or even notepad. Every time I try, the printer status says Error, but there is no actual error message. I've tried changing the printer setup from spooling to direct - nothing. I've tried restarting the computer and restarting the printer - nothing. I tried to uninstall the LPT1 port but the system would not let me do that. Most of the time when I try to print from a document or notepad, the system just hangs up and I have to use Task Manager to shut the application down (with CPU usage at 100%). During one of my attempts from notepad, I saw a brief flash of an error message, saying something like Open Port Call not submitted or issued or something like that. Don't know if that helps... Any suggestions?

Distinguished Professor
Message 4 of 6 (2,392 Views)

I have heard of this symptom before.  My friend called it a memory leak. The software is grabbing memory and not keeping track of it.  Basically it's tying up CPU usage and not letting go of it.  I would completely uninstall the software you are trying to use for your printer and instead try this driver.  It's for a Deskjet 450 Mobile Printer but it has been known to work with many types of printers.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
Honor Student
Message 5 of 6 (2,377 Views)

Thanks to all for your help and replies. I was able to solve the problem by systematically running through all the different ports available (one by one) and I discovered a port that worked. It was not the LPT1 port which I had assumed would be the correct port when I installed the printer; turned out I needed to use a USB port. When I tried that particular port, I was able to print. Basic stuff, I know, but I am very technologically challenged, as you can tell by my choice of printer to begin with...

Distinguished Professor
Message 6 of 6 (2,362 Views)

I think you did a great job at fixing your printer.  Happy Printing!!

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation