Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 3520
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

The 3520 printer, which has worked perfectly for over two years, ran out of black ink so I replaced the HP 564 XL cartridge with a brand new one (from a package of three).  All the maintenance-related printouts contain no black ink characters or color blocks - even after going through all of the steps several times including print head cleaning at both the basic and advanced level and confirming that the "breathing" slots were not blocked.  All three color cartridges are working perfectly.  When I got to the troubleshooting step stating that the "bad" cartridge should be replaced with a new one, I installed  one from the same 3-pack but  got exactly the same results, i.e.. NO black printing. I have never experienced any problems with  HP cartridges, which I have used exclusively since purchasing the printer so find it hard to believe that two (or maybe even three?) cartridges in a row could be defective.  My primary concern is to restore black printing capability ASAP but, when that happens, I will want to find out how to take advantage of HP's  cartridge warranty.  Any help solving this problem will be very-much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I found a solution for the HP problems with the 564XL black cartridges.   I tossed the HP and bought an Epson.  Enough of the crap with HP!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

My HP Photosmart 6525 printer has been working perfectly for over 2 years.  Now for some strange reason, the black cartridge is no longer printing anything in black, but the color cartridges are all working fine.  I did have an almost new black cartridge installed, which had been printing  just fine, but then stopped printing.  I went ahead and installed another brand new HP black cartridge thinking maybe the other one had some sort of problem.  But no, the new black cartridge does not work either.  I am not getting any error codes.  Please help!  I have lots of printing to do & most of it requires black ink!

When checking your HP Discussion Board for printer problems, I saw another customer recently submitted the exact same problem that I am having, but no replys or solutions yet.  My problem sounds exactly like his, I thought someone must have read my mind & submitted my problem. Very strange...is there something out there corrupting our black cartridges? Please help us.    

HP Recommended

From what I am reading about HP Deskjet 3520 and 564 Black ink, I think HP by default, has given us all a suggestion.  Do Not Buy HP Printers or Ink!  I will no-longer purchase anything from HP.

HP Recommended

I had already reached that same conclusion two weeks ago and replaced my three and a half year old HP Deskjet 3520 printer with a new Epson XP-830.  That left me stuck with three unused (but opened during the unsuccesful troubleshooting) black 564XL cartridges -- a substantial investment totally wasted! THANKS FOR NOTHING HP!   

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestions but you didn’t really address my problems/complaints with the HP ink. When Wal-Mart exchanged the defective 564 Black with another new one, it worked perfectly. That indicates to me that the former cartridge that I bought a couple of weeks ago was not filled properly. It wasn’t more than 10 days ago that I installed the new HP 564 black cartridge and also installed new Cyan, Magenta and Yellow inks. Since then I printed less than 10 pages of black type and nothing in color. The HP Deskjet 3520 software tells me that the black ink has about 45% remaining, the Magenta has about 30% left, Cyan 20% and Yellow about 40% left. You also did not address the "Counterfeit Cartridge Advisory" - Warning!  This cartridge is not a new, genuine HP cartridge" messages that I keep getting.

I don’t have time to play “wait-on-hold” for tech support nor the time or money sending the printer in for servicing. When the ink runs out, I’m going to toss the printer and buy a different brand. Besides the prices for a little ink are way out of line.

If you send me new replacement cartridges, I will use them and when they dry up I may purchase more on my own, otherwise, adios.

HP Recommended

Last year, HP answered some of the 40+ reports of this problem (on this particular model, plus dozens of reports of the same problem with other HP printer models) by saying that HP would replace the printer.

This year, the HP robot just directs people to the regular troubleshooting information,

even though every one of us has said we already tried all of those things, to no avail.

Keep complaining. Eventually, an HP agent may contact you for more information.

Theoretically, that may lead to an actual solution for you.

HP Recommended

I found a solution for the HP problems with the 564XL black cartridges.   I tossed the HP and bought an Epson.  Enough of the crap with HP!

HP Recommended

That's exactly what I did several months ago. i,e, toss the HP printer and replace it with an Epson XP-830 which has performed very well thus far.

HP Recommended

I was told to contact Tech Support.  That was a painful process.  No solution.  All I want is an address to mail this defective ink cartridge.  They act like I am not talking.  Tech Support wanted to sell me a new cartridge And some paper.

I have decided I am going with a Canon printer.

HP Recommended

Hello, @gp_78

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, this post has instructions.

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.