Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
hp envy 4502

I bought two new HP black cartridges from my usual dealer, never had a problem.  Installed the first and got an error message saying it wasn't an HP cartridge and not compatible.  Tried the second, no error message but the printer wouldn't print.  Tried internal test page and nothing.  I unplugged the printer and restarted, also didn't work.

Help!  Thanks, Bil 171

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@bill171

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP ENVY 4502 e-All-in-One Printer. I read that you have installed original HP cartridges that you've received through you dealer and after installing the first cartridge, the printer gives an error stating that it isn't  HP cartridge and not compatible. After installing the second cartridge, the error message is not there and it does not print anything.

To provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• Have you tried removing the cartridges out and tried to insert the second cartridge first and checked if the error comes up?

Meanwhile, I did some research and found the compatible cartridges for your printer. The cartridge numbers vary based on the region you are in:

If you have the correct cartridges and if the issue persists then I suggest you to continue to troubleshoot by following the below steps:

• Disconnect the power cable from the printer while the printer is still ON.
  • Disconnect any other cables if connected the printer.
  • Press and hold the printer’s power button for 15 seconds.
  • The printer should be directly connected to the wall outlet and not to a surge protector. Reconnect the power cable to print and the printer should power ON by itself. If the printer doesn’t power ON then please manually power it ON.

If the error continues or of the printer does not print then please perform the steps as described in detail from this link. These steps have fixed similar cartridge related errors.

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Please feel free to let me know how it goes. All the best! 🙂

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.