Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Student
Message 1 of 2 (3,174 Views)

New LaserJet Pro 400 Color MFP - Paper Tray Configuration Question

I just bought this and am trying to get it set up however, I would like to be able to reconfigure the default paper tray to Tray 2 as opposed to Tray 1.  I'll only be printing envelopes out of Tray 1 and it will be closed until I need an envelope. The instruction manual is not very informative as it simply says to "reconfigure the tray" but doesn't give any real instruction on HOW to reconfigure it. I have tried it from both the computer screen and from the printer control panel but every time I try to print something on letter size paper, it goes to Tray 1, puts up a message saying to insert paper and I have to push the "OK" button to have it bypass Tray 1 and go to Tray 2.

0 Kudos
Professor
Message 2 of 2 (3,159 Views)

Re: New LaserJet Pro 400 Color MFP - Paper Tray Configuration Question

DNewton,

Not quite sure of a couple of things:

First are you leaving tray 1 open when you are trying to print from tray 2? Second, did you change any of the default settings of tray 1 or tray 2?

If tray 1 is closed, then your paper should always be pulling from tray 2. The only time this would change would be if you left tray 1 open, then it would pull from tray 1 first and whatever media you had there. This is how the product is designed.

Now to the second half of your question:  if you have changed the paper type in tray 2 to something other than what is acutally in the tray then you will get a message to insert the media and press okay, you might also get a media mismatch message (especially if the paper sizes don't match) and again press okay.

Here is a document that might help you out, please let me know if you need anymore help regarding this issue.

Configure Trays

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation