Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi

HP Photosmart C6380 All in one

Despite purchasing genuine HP ink cartridges from a reputable supplier the ink is either not recognised or shows empty as they do now. Eitherwayi cannot print. I've purchased more and still get same message. I've also installed latest software whicg was a nightmare in itself, I've got vista on one machine and there's no way I can load the software.

I understand that manufacturers often embed a date of birth on the ink chip, which I thought was illegal, since it forces you to buy more ink even though the printer ink is still usable. I tried phoning HP help but they wanted to charge me for technical advice, hmm i'd rather bin the printer and avoid HP products altogether.

I'm not sure if there is a solution to this or the printer / software is completely unfit for purpose and or HP are trying to rip people off with ink through illegal chipping.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Everyone, 

Ok, if you just started using this cartridge there is a warranty date on the cartridge. If the cartridge is found to be defectiver we can replace the cartridge as long as it is still within the warranty period on the cartridge. Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region please click the link below to get the support number for your region.

http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpsupport/index.pl

c03154896.gif

Standard print sample set:

HP publishes page yield data based on the industry standard for measuring cartridge yields (ISO/IEC 24711). Under the ISO 24711 testing guidelines, a standard set of five 8 1/2 x 11 pages are printed continuously until the cartridge reaches end-of-life. For a variety of reasons, these testing conditions may not reflect what you experience in everyday use. ISO standard page yields therefore should be used only as a starting point for comparison purposes, and not to predict the actual yield you will get from your HP printer and cartridge. Actual yield varies considerably based on the content of printed pages, frequency of printing, and other factors. Click Here for more information about page yield and ink volume. Click Here for information about how ink is used.

1.jpg

What I need for you to do is print out the printer status report just before you get ready to install your new set of cartridges, and then scan it. Send that page to me using the attachments line below the message box. Once you start getting messages that the cartridges are low or need to be replaced I need you to print another status report, and scan it to be sent to me. Once we have the before and after reports we can then take a look at what is being printed and how many actual pages you got with the cartridges. Let me know if you have any questions.

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

View solution in original post

61 REPLIES 61
HP Recommended

Hi LhK,

The warranty dates are located on the cartridges. Example: if the date on the cartridge is 11-12-2012 then that is the out of warranty date. This date is only valid as long as the cartridges still have ink in them, and they are not getting the message low ink or out of ink.

Where did you purchase the cartridges?

Where they in an HP box when you purchased them?

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

I love the printer but empty cartridge message on Cyan is not improved by trying new cartridges.  Alcohol on the head and no luck.  Anyone have any luck on this one?

HP Recommended

HI bobhull931,

Can you please supply more details on what your printer is, and what the issue you are having.

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

I too have ink problems. I have an HP Photosmart D110 series. I don't print a lot, have had the printer about a year and a half. Ink levels are ok, but black is low-ish. The printer acts like it's printing (tried color and solely b/w pages) but nothing comes out on the page. One would think if I had lots of color ink at least the colors would print. Date on cartridges is 5/6/12 so not expired (but is this "chip" thing true?, if so im switching to a company that doesnt do that).

HP Recommended

I am having the same issue.  I have a C6180.  The warranty date on the ink cartridge is still good, you can hear that there is ink in the cartidge.  What are we suppose to do?

HP Recommended

i just put in an order for new cartridges. I also called HP and the guy said that LOW black might affect the other cartridge, but couldn't explain how. He was more concerned with the fact that my machine is out of warranty even though the cartridge is not. :((

HP Recommended

Warranty end date locations

NOTE:The following instructions assume that you are using genuine HP cartridges. HP recommends that you use genuine HP cartridges. HP cannot guarantee the quality or reliability of non-HP cartridges. If you are not using genuine HP cartridges, the following solutions might not resolve your issue.
Depending on your new cartridge, there are now two possible locations for the warranty end date. The date might appear on either end of new cartridges.
Figure 1: Date on the front of the cartridge
Image of HP warranty end date location on the front of the cartridge
Figure 2: Date on the rear of the cartridge
Image of HP warranty end date location on the rear of the cartridge
The HP Warranty end date follows the YYYY/MM/DD or YYYY/MM format, where YYYY indicates the year, MM indicates the month, and DD indicates the day.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02870673

http://www.hp.com/sbso/product/supplies/whybuy_warranty.html#inkjet

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

My cartridge is within the warranty period, packaged with the HP label, and was purchased from an office supply chain.   Before printing in back, I always get the message that a new cartridge needs to be installed.  When I hit "continue" it does print.  This is just an extra step I have to take ony with the black ink cartridges.  This must be a common problem.  Is there a solution?

HP Recommended

Hi Courtown,

If this is a New OEM HP Cartridge you will need to contact out technical support

Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region please click the link below to get the support number for your region.

http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpsupport/index.pl

I am an HP employee.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.