Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 4500 G510
macOS 10.12 Sierra

I've upgraded to MacOS Sierra and can no longer scan to or from my device.  I can print and use the HP Utility to send a test page and even align the cartridges. I cannot scan to my computer (Open in Preview nor any other function) from the device although the printer still identifies my Mac on the wireless network.  A popup on the Mac appears.
HP Scan.jpeg
I note that there is no way to close this popup even in the Task Manager - Force Quit Applications.  Only a reboot gets rid of it.
Have also tried the Apple Image Capture app (v. 6.8).  It simply waits for the scanner but never finds it.ImageCaptureWaiting.jpeg

I've downloaded and installed the HP Easy Scan app {v. 1.8.0) and tried it with the same results.  Waiting....EasyScanWaiting.jpeg
Removed and readded the printer from the Mac.  

Used the HP Utility to install any updates to the printer.  The website finds nothing.
Looked for updates to my Mac on the App Store.

Powered off the printer, removed cartridges, removed the power cable, pressed the power button to discharge, powered it back up.
Searched HP site for any other solutions including these forums.  Tried everything I can find.
It's beginning to look as if I'll need to take a picture of the documents with my "Smart" phone and import them.
Either that or simply use a piece of birch bark and a burnt stick to reproduce my forms.  /sarcasm

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Cpt. Jera

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@CptJera,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you are unable to scan from your HP Officejet 4500 All-in-One Printer - G510, as it gets stuck on the message "preparing to scan".

This issue could occur if the scanner module is defective.

In order to isolate the issue, I suggest that you make a copy from the printer and check. If the issue still persists, then it is a hardware issue with the scanner.

You may also reset the printer by following the steps provided below:

1.Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.
2.Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
3.With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
4.Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
5.Wait at least 60 seconds.
6.Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
7.Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
8.Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on. The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.
9.Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.

Let me know how this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended
I've already tried the process suggested above. I should note that the device scans without problem from a Windows PC using the HP Solution Center app suggesting it isn't a hardware issue.
I'm somewhat certain it is a MacOS Sierra issue. See my original post about updates I've followed per HP's instructions. Have I perhaps missed something?
Thanks.
HP Recommended

@CptJera,

Thank you for your reply, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that the issue still persists after following the steps provided in the previous interaction. I also see that you are able to scan from windows PC 

This issue could occur if the Mac OS does support these apps.

Please follow the link to download and install the Apple V5.0 drivers for these printers: HP Printer Drivers v5.0 for OS X

Let me know if this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.