I'm trying to scan a document but it keeps telling me "that the scan cannot be performed because another program or computer is using the networked HP imaging device. Try again later." I cant figure it out because I'm not aware of any other program using the device.
Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.
I understand you are having scanning issues on your HP Photosmart printer. Don't worry as I have a few steps to help you get through this concern,
In the meantime, let's try these steps here:
Hard reset on the printer, router, computer and other devices on the same network.
The following steps temporarily disconnect network and Internet connections and require restarting your computer. Complete any tasks or downloads in progress before continuing.
1. Press the Power button on the printer to turn it off.
2. Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
3. Disconnect the power cord from the wireless router.
4. Turn off the computer.
5. Wait for 30 seconds.
6. Reconnect the power cord to the wireless router.
7. Wait for 30 seconds, or until the router is fully on and ready
8. Turn the computer back on.
9. Wait for the computer to reload
10. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
11. Turn the printer back on.
Next step let's try a clean install and try. Follow the steps below:
· First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.
· Go to Control panel – Programs and feature –Select all the HP Photosmart printer entries and uninstall them.
· Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
· Restart your computer.
· Click the bottom-left Start button on the desktop, type device manager in the search box and tap Device Manager on the menu.
· Once in device manager, click on the view tab in the top & choose “Show hidden devices”.
· Then from the device manager list, check the entries under “Printer” – If there are any entries, please right click and choose “uninstall” – In the confirm device un-install pop-up, make sure you select the box which says “Delete the driver software for this device".
· Also, check the entries under "printer queue" and "imaging devices" and repeat the same exercise. Delete any printer entry or any entry which says “Unknown device”.
· Once done, close device-manger. Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" and press enter.
· Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
· Again, go to run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
· Once done you can try cleaning out your temporary files and cached files. You can try using automated applications like some cleaner software's that you can download from the internet.
· Now restart your computer again.
· Open the Run window again, type “services.msc” and press ok to get services window.
· Scroll down to “Remote Procedure Call (RPC)” – right-click and go to properties. Make sure the service is started and startup type is “Automatic”.
· Now scroll up and go to “Function Discovery Provider Host” – right-click and select properties – Change the startup type to “manual” and start the service.
· Repeat the same exercise on “Function Discovery Resource Publication” as well.