Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Officejet 4500 G510
macOS 10.12 Sierra

I have an HP Officejet 4500 G510 multifunction printer that I have connected to my wireless network.

I updated my MACBook Pro to OS Sierra yesterday. 

I am now unable to scan at all. I keep getting error messages like scanner not connected, cannot connect to scanner, scanner unavailable, scanner in use by remote user or just a constant blank screen with a message saying connecting to scanner...that never connects so the scan button stays grayed out.

I have installed all the latest drivers and even tried HP Easy Scan. I unistalled and reinstalled the printer, the drivers and other software. I have rebooted both my laptop and my printer numerous times. I have also completely reset my printer. 

I cannot scan using Preview or going through System Preferences either.  I can print but I absolutely cannot scan.

Is there any way to fix this?

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please first ensure you can copy with no issues by making a color copy of some page..

Once verifying the copy funtionality follow these steps and check if that may help:

From your Applications folder or its HP subfolder delete any existing HP Scan or HP Easy Scan application, delete it by moving it to trash, then empty the trash.

Next install the latest HP Easy Scan below, it will be installed within the Applications folder:
http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Installations/Essentials/hp-easy-scan-1_...

Finally, ensure your drivers are up to date by clicking the Apple icon, select About this Mac and then press Software Update.
Click Store on the top menu bar, click Reload Page, click Update All if any updated are available.

Regards,
Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Hi ShlomiL,

Thank you.

I did all that you suggested. I am able to color copy a document on my printer with no trouble.

I deleted the HP Easy Scan software and deleted it from my trash.

I then clicked on the link you provided and installed the software.

I checked for updates and my software is completely up to date.

I am still not able to scan. I even used the browse option on HP Easy Scan and selected my printer. I am still getting the perpetual "connecting to Officejet 4500 G510n-z" 

Any other ideas?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.