Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have tried several times to update the firmware on my HP LaserJet CM1415fnw printer.  I do get the happy face after the utility finishes.

The Firmware datecode remains to be 20111215 even after I use the firmware update tool dated 20120629.

The PC's I have been using are Windows 7 64 bit OS.  ( I have tried it from 3 different PC's with the same result.)

What can I try to fix this?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Wamer_ca,

From the control panel:

1. Press Settings

2. Press Service

3. Press RFU,

4. Scroll to On, and then press enter to set.

Try updating the firmware again, and let me know what happens?

Installation Instructions

Flash Firmware Update Notes:
The Firmware Update Utility uses the network or USB connection to the printer.

• The HP Color LaserJet Professional CM1415 MFP series print driver software must be installed prior to using this utility.
  • The HP Color LaserJet Professional CM1415 MFP series printer must be on and in a READY state as shown by the LCD display on the control panel and remain powered on during the entire firmware update process.
  • The HP LaserJet Pro CM 1415fn color MFP Series printer must be connected and capable of printing documents from the computer.
  • The RFU setting on the Control Panel (Service -> RFU) must be set to "ON"
  • Depending on the processor speed of your PC, the firmware update process may complete on the printer before the update status progress bar in the flash firmware update utility on the PC screen completes, this is normal.
  • Once the update process has started, do not use your PC for any other activity until the process is complete.
  • Do not power cycle the product or the computer until the firmware update process is complete.

Process:
    1. Download the flash firmware updater file from HP.com to your desktop.
    2. Turn the printer off and then back on to clear main printer memory.
    3. Make sure the RFU setting on the Control Panel (Service -> RFU) is set to "ON".
    4. Double click on the flash firmware update utility file. An HP firmware update window will open.
    5. Select the appropriate HP CM1415 MFP series driver in the dialog window. If you assigned a different name to the HP CM1415MFP, choose the name that represents the correct printer. 6. Click on "Send Firmware" when ready to proceed.
    7. The progress bar will begin to move to the right indicating information being transferred.
    8. DO NOT power cycle the product or the computer during this process or the product may become unstable and or unusable without further attention from HP. The flash firmware update can take up to 5 minutes to complete. Please be patient.
    9. During the product flash firmware update, the display on the product control panel will display "Printing Document- Erasing - Programming - Complete - Hewlett-Packard - Ready - Initializing - Ready". Once the download is finished the printer will be in the Ready state.
    10. At the conclusion of the firmware update, the dialog window will show a smiley face. Click on exit.
    11. The flash firmware update process is complete.

12. If it is desired to verify the update, use the control panel reports menu under setup to print a configuration report. The configuration report will show the current firmware revision in the Product information block. If the firmware datecode is unchanged, check the RFU setting in the Service Menu on the Control Panel - it must be "ON" for a successful update.

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
HP Recommended

Hi Wamer_ca,

How do you have the printer connected to the computer when you run the firmware update?

Have you tired redownloading the firmware file?

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

I have tried to update the printer's firmware using several different connections, computers and methods.

* Connections have been wireless, wired and USB

* Three different computers (all win7)

*  I have used the automatic HP updates.   This process starts,  but eventually fails.

*  I have also downloaded the stand alone firmware update tool  CM1410_MFP_Series_FW_Update-20120629.exe.   

*  This program runs successfully and ends with a happy face.  

*  Printing the config sheet still shows the firmware datecode to be 20111215 which is the date of my

previous firmware update.

I have attempted this update over 20 times over the past several months with no success.   I know that there are some security risks with the previous firmware.

I hope that you have some hints of what to try next.

Thanks again,  Rich

HP Recommended

Hi Wamer_ca,

I am curious to see if this is related to Win 7. Do you have any computer with Vista or XP?

If so, can you connect the printer using the USB, and attempt the firmware update again. Let me know what you find out?

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I just ran the CM1410_MFP_Series_FW_Update-20120629.exe  firmware update again using a Windows XP machine with the same result.

The upgrade program ends with a happy face (which I assume means it finished succesfully).

Printing the configuration page still shows the 20111215 date code.

What to try next?

Rich

HP Recommended

Hi Wamer_ca,

I am currently checking into this issue, and will reply as soon as i can.

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Hi Wamer_ca,

From the control panel:

1. Press Settings

2. Press Service

3. Press RFU,

Try updating the firmware again, and let me know what happens?

Installation Instructions

Flash Firmware Update Notes:
The Firmware Update Utility uses the network or USB connection to the printer.

• The HP Color LaserJet Professional CM1415 MFP series print driver software must be installed prior to using this utility.
  • The HP Color LaserJet Professional CM1415 MFP series printer must be on and in a READY state as shown by the LCD display on the control panel and remain powered on during the entire firmware update process.
  • The HP LaserJet Pro CM 1415fn color MFP Series printer must be connected and capable of printing documents from the computer.
  • The RFU setting on the Control Panel (Service -> RFU) must be set to "ON"
  • Depending on the processor speed of your PC, the firmware update process may complete on the printer before the update status progress bar in the flash firmware update utility on the PC screen completes, this is normal.
  • Once the update process has started, do not use your PC for any other activity until the process is complete.
  • Do not power cycle the product or the computer until the firmware update process is complete.

Process:
    1. Download the flash firmware updater file from HP.com to your desktop.
    2. Turn the printer off and then back on to clear main printer memory.
    3. Make sure the RFU setting on the Control Panel (Service -> RFU) is set to "ON".
    4. Double click on the flash firmware update utility file. An HP firmware update window will open.
    5. Select the appropriate HP CM1415 MFP series driver in the dialog window. If you assigned a different name to the HP CM1415MFP, choose the name that represents the correct printer. 6. Click on "Send Firmware" when ready to proceed.
    7. The progress bar will begin to move to the right indicating information being transferred.
    8. DO NOT power cycle the product or the computer during this process or the product may become unstable and or unusable without further attention from HP. The flash firmware update can take up to 5 minutes to complete. Please be patient.
    9. During the product flash firmware update, the display on the product control panel will display "Printing Document- Erasing - Programming - Complete - Hewlett-Packard - Ready - Initializing - Ready". Once the download is finished the printer will be in the Ready state.
    10. At the conclusion of the firmware update, the dialog window will show a smiley face. Click on exit.
    11. The flash firmware update process is complete.

12. If it is desired to verify the update, use the control panel reports menu under setup to print a configuration report. The configuration report will show the current firmware revision in the Product information block. If the firmware datecode is unchanged, check the RFU setting in the Service Menu on the Control Panel - it must be "ON" for a successful update.

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended
Hi PCWizard, This has solved the problem.  I was able to update the firmware and it now shows a datecode of 20120629 Thank you very much for your help, Rich
HP Recommended

Hi Rich,

Great, glad to hear the issue has been resolved. Have a wonderful day.

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

My CM 1415 fnw does not have the RFU screen in the Service menu. in this example I can not get RFU,

From the control panel:

1. Press Settings

2. Press Service

3. Press RFU,

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.