Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
1 0 0 1
Message 1 of 14
Flag Post

OCR on Snow Leopard

HP Recommended

Hi

Since upgrading to 10.6 Snow Leopard, I've been using the built-in OS support for my OfficeJet 6500 Wireless, and it's very nice. See here: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01664444

I don't miss anything from the old suite of HP software for scanning and printing that I used under Leopard, except OCR -  is there a way to scan and OCR text automatically under Snow Leopard?

Regards

Glenn.

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
3 3 0 0
Message 2 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same issue on a PhotoSmart 3100, NO OCR! I assume this is an issue on all HP products?

Also when I do scan the printer goes into a disconnected state.  I can sometimes actually get one scan fully completed before this happens.  I have to turn the print off and back on to get it to be recognized again even though in system preferences the OSX is seeing the printer. This is repeatable over and over.

I have to say I'm a few days away from going to buy a printer that's not HP. I mean come on this is not good.  I expect to see a comment from HP on this on this post soon. Otherwise I'll happily spend money on another printer manufacture.

And yes this all worked in Leopard.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 3 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Spoke to HP today,(40 minutes!), they basically said that Apple coded the HP drivers into snow leopard, and "corporate hasn't passed along any information to us about [HP Scan Pro's] further development".  They also said "We are not licenced to code drivers for snow leopard", which was crap because ScanSnap just put ut a bulliten about how they were going to upgrade their software.

Looking for free OCR software for Mac has proved fruitless.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 3 0 0
Message 4 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Try out VueScan http://www.hamrick.com/.  I haven't tried this one yet but will.

Also try out this http://www.smileonmymac.com/PDFpen/. It seems it's very basic OCR in this one. I used it and wasn't satisfied because it won't let me edit the tables and other non-alphabet type text in a scan.

If you have more money then you know what to do with try http://www.nuance.com/imaging/omnipage/omnipage-macintosh.asp ($499).

Another option I haven't tried is http://www.irislink.com/c2-1538-189/Readiris-11-for-Mac-------The-ultimate-OCR-software-for-Mac-users-.aspx ($129).

Personally I may just go and buy something non-hp where there is software that will let me scan with OCR in 10.6.  That or I will justifity buying one of these tools in place of a  new printer. Right now I have 2 HP printers both of which have no way to OCR scan so they become somewhat less usefull.

I'm sure given time HP will work out the issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 5 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended
thanks, but i was looking for something free.  I shouldnt have to pay for something HP is too lazy to code.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 3 0 0
Message 6 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I agree. I guess my point was you might as well buy a different printer that has the OCR software bundled because the cost of standalone OCR software is more than most new printers a normal consumer would use..  
0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 7 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I don't know about the others but Read IRIS 11 under OS X.5 always quit on me. I don't I think it has been updated in 2 years.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 4 0 0
Message 8 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Desperately need simple way to scan/edit text on my F380 all-in-one.  I can't get the scanner out of picture mode. 
0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended
More to the point, does any body know whether or not HP has any intention of adding OCR to any of their 10.6.1 drivers.  My HP Print/Scan version 2.1.3 (7) shows no capability for OCR.  If HP does plan to add this capability, I can wait a few weeks.  If not, I will plan accordingly.  New printers are often cheaper than OCRs.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 1
Message 10 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here's how I did an OCR scan in Snow Leopard using my PSC 1401 all in one:

1st I updated the driver.

2nd I clicked on /Applications/Hewlett-Packard/HP Scan.app

3rd I choose Scan Documents(before which I made an auto adjust for landscape settings)

4th  I hit the Save Icon at the top and choose format: TXT and make sure Contents were save to single file. . .

all done!  🙂

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation