cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

OJ Pro 8500 under OSX El Capitan - the SCAN option is no longer visible in System Preferences

HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8500A Plus
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

As a result of some problems where my Macs kept saying "cannot connect to" my printer, I had reset the printing system and re-installed the driver several times. 

I now have a situation where printing works OK, but the SCAN option in the "printers and scanners" screen for my HP Officejet Pro 8500a Plus no longer shows a SCAN button -- there are no scanning options at all.

I had posted an Apple update for HP printers (version 3.1) and this didn't help.  Then, following directions from APple or HP (I forget which now) I downloaded and installed a driver file called hpprinterdriver3.1.dmg.  Got the same result.  I even tried installing the Mavericks driver file (which used to work when I had Mavericks) but same result.

I've been through every troubleshooting conversation on HP's site and tried everything and cannot get scanning back.

PS -

*  When re-installing the driver, I can no longer pick the printer out of a list, but have to use the IP option and type in its IP address before the system will see it and, when it is installed, it is named for the IP  (eg 192.168.6.3) rather than for the printer name, although it shows the printer name in the "kind" field of the printers and scanners dialogue.

* I also tried the options of scanning with HP Easy Scan and Apple Image Capture, but neither app can see the scanner, so these don't work either.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
7,878 7,777 397 989
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @docroc,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! I see you are unable to Scan to your Mac running the El Capitan 10.11 Operating system. You have done multiple troubleshooting steps with no success.

I notice you tried installing the Mavericks 10.9 software and drivers with no luck, this is because they are not compatible.

You need to install the printer using the Apple Updates, take a look here: Installing a Mac Printer Driver Using Apple Software Update

I know you tried installing using the Apple 3.1 driver but that did not work either.

Quick question, are you able to make a Copy?

Let me know the results. If you are still having the issue, I would suggest contacting our our technical support at www.hp.com/contacthp/ as they have the ability to log on by remote assistance. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region. http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Thanks for being a part of the HP community. If you wish to say "thanks" for my effort to help, click the "thumbs up" to give me a Kudos.

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 2 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi and thanks for the suggestion.  I DID install the most recent Apple Update for HP printers (3.1) and I couldn't scan after doing that either.  The other attempts to install drivers have happened since that time.  I would try re-installing the Apple driver update but don't see any way to do so -- Apple doesn't seem to provide a way to back out an update and re-apply it, something that Windows does pretty well.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation