cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
4 3 0 1
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

OJPro 8500 A910 lost its mind

HP Recommended
officejet pro 8500 A910
Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks

My printer is networked wirelessly, and has been used without incident (including AirPrint).

Last Friday our main electrical power failed for about 1 second (just enough for the lights to go off and on again). Our supply is equipped with a whole-house surge protector that indicates it is still working.

Most of our equipment simply rebooted or picked up where it left off. The OJ, however, shut down completely.

On restarting, I'm now seeing these symptoms:

1. Shows up most of the time in the "Printers & Scanners" preference panel.
  2. Once in a while will accept a print job, but then refuses further jobs (becomes unresponsive).
  3. The printer's webpage will start to load in a web browser, then hangs up.
  4. The green "Network Active" LED is not lit.

I have tried restarting the printer, deleting and reloading Mac OS X printer driver, and trying to communicate directly through the HP printer utility. I found a setting on the printer's touchscreen that let me print out communication diagnostic results, and it claims that it is connected properly to the WiFi network and that all is well. 

How do I get the printer back to its base settings and back to communicating?

Thanks in advance for your help!

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
16,806 17,101 1,041 2,634
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @bikerbudmatt,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! I see that you are experiencing intermittent issues printing over the wireless network.
I would like to help you resolve this issue. If this helps you to reach a solution, please click the "Accept as Solution" button down below in this message. If you wish to say thanks for my effort to help, click the " Thumbs Up " to give me a Kudos. :generic:

I would power cycle the router, restart the Mac and the printer, to see if that may help.

Please try the steps in this document, to see if it will help resolve this issue, HP Printers - 'Printer Offline' or 'Printer Not Responding' Message (OS X).

Please let me know the outcome and if there is anything else I can help you with. Thank you.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 1
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The only modification I would make to your advice is to reverse the order…reset printer first, as the other two options are much more drastic.

That being said, I followed down the tree in the document you linked, and appeared to hit a winner with removing power to the printer for a full 60 seconds and then powering up.

Should be noted FYI that the printer went through a brief self-test, which had not been happening on earlier attempts to fix this problem. The web services configuration page is loading fully once again.

Thank you for your kind help!

Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 1
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ouch. You still get kudos, but the problem is not solved.

Cycling the power for 60 seconds restores the printer for the span of exactly one print job. After that, the symptoms return.

From the computer's viewpoint, the job is completed and is purged from the OS X print queue. From the printer's viewpoint, it appears that it is not releasing the job, and the processor has gone into a loop that ties up the printer's Web server as well.

The control panel on the printer, meantime, appears to be fully responsive.

Need further troubleshooting help. Thank you!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @bikerbudmatt,

We are almost there. :generic:

Check the driver name that is installed for the printer. Make sure it shows just the printer's name.
Click the Apple menu and then click System Preferences. Click Printers & Scanners, highlight the printer name on the left side and on the right side of the screen it should show the printer's name. (Officejet 8500)

If the full printer name isn't listed correctly, delete it and add the printer name back in from the list. Click the - sign to delete the driver and then click the + sign to add the driver, might have to click the drop down to select the printer's name to add it in.

check driver name.jpg

check driver name 2.jpg

I have provided a document for setting up a static IP on the printer, to see if that may help with this situation, start at Solution five: Assign the printer a static IP address, HP Printers - Printer Does Not Maintain Wireless Connection.

If the issue persists, please start from the beginning of the document and work your way down.

Please keep me posted on the results. Thank you.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 1
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

The printer driver only shows up once in the Printer preferences; it has always been assigned a static IP address.

Working down through the troubleshooting tree yields the same result: the printer will print once after a restart, then seems to be caught in a loop.

Here is the state it is in:

• It is still visible on the wireless network
  • Print jobs can be queued to it and removed from it
  • It is still visible through Bonjour
  • BUT the printer itself appears to still be busy 

The short power loss (about 1 second) appears to have corrupted the printer's OS.

How do we recover that?

Thanks in advance,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @bikerbudmatt,

Did you try turning off the IPv6 setting on the printer and adding the printer as the IP Protocol?

This information was at the bottom of the previous document.

Make sure the printer is connected directly to a wall outlet. (don't use a power hub or a surge protector) This ensures the printer is receiving full power and may help this situation.

If you tried all that and are still having issues, please update the printer's firmware, to see if that may help with this situation. The firmware is only available for 10.8 and lower. If you have a older Mac, you can do the update from it.

I will send you another step to try in a private message.
In the forum beside your handle name just click on the envelope to view it.

Let me know what the results are. Thank you.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation