Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 5742
macOS 10.12 Sierra

HI guys can anyone help mne please .. since downloading the latest Mac OSX 10.12.4 my HP Officejet 5742 will not scan to my iMac that it is hard wired to, so I've I've downloaded the latest drivers from HP for OSX Sierra and I still get the same result "No Computer Found"  message even though the scan to PC is enabled in the HP utilities folder .. I've even added the same Printer as a new I now have 8 printers logged (series 1 to 😎 all have the same issue and I can't find a way to remove the extra series of printers .. totally confused now and tampin mad  .. grrr .. thanks for reading regards Ant

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hey there! @musicmuttt, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand you have issues scanning from your printer to mac.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Is the printer connected to the main routers network name?

Please try the steps recommended below.

In the meantime you can do the following steps:

Repair the Disk Permissions on the Mac:

Close all applications.
On the Apple menu bar, click Go, click Applications and then click Utilities.
Double-click Disk Utility.
Highlight your hard drive/partition on the left.
Click Verify and then Repair Disk Permissions.

Restart the computer.

Reset the Printing System:

Note: This will remove all printers in the print and Fax/Scan, any printer removed can be re-added later by clicking the plus (+) symbol.

Click the Apple icon (  ), and then click System Preferences.
Click Printers & Scanners.
Right-click (or Ctrl +click) in the left white side panel, then click Reset printing system.
Click OK to confirm the reset.
Type the correct Name and Password.
Click OK to reset the printing system.
Then click the + sign, then select the printer from the list and click on the Add button.
(make sure it shows the printer name beside Use, not the AirPrint driver)

If the issue still persists please update the printer software using this link.

Let me know if this works!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Mr Robot my issue remains my HP 5742 will not scan to my imac, I tried all the processes ypu listed in your reply and I still have the same issue not scanning directly to the Imac

I removed the printer manually and reinstalled it getting the updated drivers direct from the HP web page and although in settings the scan to computer is enabled it still will not scan to the PC

the message on the printer screen reads >> Connection Required >> Selected Computer is not available make sure that : the PC is Turned on : The PC and printer is connect by a USB cable .. the answer to those questions is Yes  Printer and PC Switched on .. Yes Connected with a USB Cable

I can print directly from my Imac but cannot scan to the Imac it's really annoyiong as I am falling behind with my project

I'm no PC guru and  keeping it simple is the best way to resopnd .. thanks for reading Ant

HP Recommended

@musicmuttt, It's been great to hear from you again, I was indeed waiting for your response.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

As you mentioned the issue still persists after trying out the steps.

Try downloading HP Easy Scan app from the apple store and try scanning and check if it helps.

Refer this article to know how to scan from your MAC PC.

I'll watch your response!

Have a wonderful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

One step ahead of you there Mr Robot already downloaded easy scan ... still trying to work out how to get it to scan directly to the Mac .. I'll get by trial and error if it will let me do that. 😁

HP Recommended

@musicmuttt, It's a quick response from you.

Kudos to you for trying out the steps.

As you mentioned you are unable to scan using HP easy scan app.

Please download and install HP AIO app on your MAC from the app store and check if you are able to scan.

Refer this article to know how to use HP AIO app on your MAC.

Hope this helps!

Have a wonderful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Ah! well not the outcome I expected .. still confused as I've downloaded the AIO app to my Mobile/Cell Phone and yes the printer scanned to the Phone now I have to send it back via an email or send it to iCloud which really does not resolve the issue of the Printer not scanning directly to the iMac even with the scan to printer option enabled ... I've used a new USB  cable and the issue remains ... Ant

HP Recommended

@musicmuttt, Thanks for your response and time.

I appreciate your efforts and time for trying out the steps.

Since the issue still persists after trying out the steps.

I would suggest you install HP Printer Drivers v5.0 and check if it helps.

Please uninstall the printer software from your MAC and then install the HP printer drivers from apple website directly.

Click Finder in the Dock.
In the menu bar, click Go, click Applications, then open the HP or Hewlett-Packard folder.
If HP Uninstaller is in the folder, double click it, then follow the on-screen instructions to uninstall the software.
If HP Uninstaller is not in the folder, continue to the next step.
Click and drag the HP or Hewlett Packard folder to the Trash icon in the Dock.
In the menu bar, click Go, click Go to Folder, type /Library/Printers, then click Go.
The Printers folder opens.
Click and drag the HP or Hewlett Packard folder to the Trash icon in the Dock.
Restart the Mac.
Right-click or Ctrl + click the Trash icon, then select Empty Trash.

Update the printer drivers from apple website using this link.

I'll watch your reply!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.