cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Solved!

Office Jet Pro 8000 The quality of the printing is poor on glossy or matte paper.

HP Recommended

My printer is 2 years old.  On glossy paper is has vertical lines (drum lines?) and streaks and never cures.  On matte paper it is dull and lacking in color.  I have tried many papers.  Is this a printer problem or a paper problem?  If it is a paper problem what paper should I use?  I need to print photos for of my work to show customers on short notice.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 6
386 386 29 134
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Destorey,

I have a couple of questions, as well as some answers to the questions you have asked.

My Questions

1. What Operating System are you using?

2. What Connection Type?

3. Does the issue occur regardless of which application, or have you only tried from one application so far?

4. What driver settings are being specified when setting up your print job (Are you specifying the paper type, paper size, print quality?)?

5. What brand of paper is it, and do you have the specs (weight, size, etc)?

Your Questions

1. (Are the lines on the glossy paper) drum lines? No, your printer has ink tanks, and print heads. Imaging drums are in Laserjets.

2. Is this a printer problem or a paper problem? At this point, I believe it is one (or more) of three things: printer, driver, paper

3. If it is a paper problem what paper should I use? HP printers are designed to work best with HP Advanced photo papers.

Please post your responses, and I will help you troubleshoot the issue.

Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am an HP Employee
Click the KUDOS Star to say "Thanks"

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My operating system is Windows XP.  Wireless connection.  Occurs regardless.  I am using default settings.

I have tried HP Advanced glossy 66 lb Photo paper, Epsom premium glossy and matte, 68 lb.  The glossy papers don't hold the ink (smear) and get the lines.  The matte is dull.  I want photo quality pictures and thought this printer would provide that.  Thanks for any help

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 6
386 386 29 134
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Regarding the default settings, can you go to print, and get the following information:

Default Paper Type/Media Type:

Default Paper Size/Media Size:

Print Quality (Normal/Better/Best):

Normally, if you don't specify at least the paper type, the printer believes it is printing on regular paper. The ink delivery is different for each different media type.

Try adjusting this setting, and see if the print comes out better. If it does (resolves the issue) you can make a printer pre-set for those settings so that whenever you print on (insert paper type/manufacturer here) paper, you can use the preset to auto-set the driver accordingly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am an HP Employee
Click the KUDOS Star to say "Thanks"

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation