cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
jgossc
Level 2
21 12 0 1
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Office jet pro not printing-server failed and cannot find printer

HP Recommended
Office jet pro 8600
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

Hi folks!  Hopefully someone will have an answer to my problem...

So it seems that I have a problem with my printer every six months, and this round it is saying that "The printer is not connected" and when I go to diagnostics, it says on the left hand side of the box (this is on a Mac Air, up to date with iOS) that the server failed.  I tried to print off of my phone on air print, and the desktop, and it cannot find the printer.  I reset the printer, and was able to print once, and then it went back to its old ways.

I'm sure that this is a Microsoft problem, but I just updated the latest office from them, and it is still doing it.  

Thanks for y'alls help!

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
DocCottle
Retired
Retired
5,028 4,829 404 709
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @jgossc,

I see that you are having some issues with printing from your Mac OSX 10.11 machine to your Officejet Pro 8600 e-All-In-One Printer. I can help you with that.

Here's what we will do:

1. Turn the printer off.
  2. While the printer is turned off, remove the power cord from the back of the router for one minute.
  3. When the lights return on the router, turn the printer back on.

At this point you should be able to print from both devices.

If you can print from the iPhone, but not the Mac then:

1. On the Mac click on your Apple icon, System Preferences, Printers and Scanners.
    Hold down the command key and click on the icon of your printer on the left.
  2. Click on Reset Printing System.
  3. Click on the plus button in the bottom left corner.
  4. Select your network from the list.
  5. Click in the box next to Use and select your printer from the list.
  6. Click on Add.
  7. Now you should be able to print from the Mac as well.

If you can print from neither the iPhone nor the Mac then:

1. On the printer click on the wireless icon that looks like a radio tower.
  2. If you see a line that says Status: Not Connected then click on Settings and then Wireless Setup Wizard.
  3. If you see a line that says Status: Connected then there is a setting on the router that the printer is having issues with. Contact your internet provider or whoever provided you with your router and ask them to open all ports, enable multicasting, disable MAC filtering/Mac Cloning, disable the Guest Network, and make sure the router has a 2.4 GHz (Giga-hertz) band.

Please let me know if this resolves your issues or if you have any other questions. Otherwise, have a great weekend!

If this resolves your issue, then please help other users find this post by clicking on Accept as Solution on my post.

If you appreciate my help, then please let others know by clicking on the thumbs up icon below my post.

~DocCottle
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” below the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.

Please click the Thumbs up icon below to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation