Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 3830
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Every time the PC is rebooted it looses the ability to scan using the OfficeJet 3830 MFP.  The only solution I have found is to remove and reinstall the HP OfficeJet software after a reboot which is time consuming. 

Using both the software method and the send to PC method from the scanner both result in the error message 'The HP OfficeJet 3830 Series could not be found'.  Is there any log file available to be able to identify the cause of the problem, better still is this a known issue and is there a fix?

Regards,

Gary.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hey there! @spar1grep, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand you have issues scanning from your printer.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

Assign a static IP address to your printer and check if it helps.

Set a static IP in the printer (click here) outside the DHCP range of the router (check your manual). This is for Linksys routers but can be used for all routers. Verify your DHCP range and change this first if needed. More Wireless Printing help is here (Windows solution 4, static IP).
Verify in the printer that 'Auto Off/Sleep' is disabled and/or the System Mode Time Out is set to zero (0). Use the Embedded Web Server (EWS) by going to the printers IP address in your browsers address bar, click Settings Tab/Auto-Off. Or use the Printer Assistant, Printer Home Page (EWS). Also, check your Printers Properties.
If the printer supports and has IPv6 enabled, turn off IPv6 in the printer.
If needed and you assigned a static IP address, try using 8.8.8.8 for the Preferred DNS server and 8.8.4.4 as the Alternate DNS server. 
Wireless printers only work on the 2.4Ghz band.
Verify the printer is on the latest firmware by checking the HP Support site.
Check all wireless devices in your home for interference. Check microwaves, baby monitors, wireless phones and wireless alarm systems are a big culprit. Any of these will knock out your wireless printer intermittently.

Try the setting in the router.

Use a fixed wireless channel like 1, 6 or 11, never 'auto', try channel 1 first then the rest. 
Set router to 20Mhz only, or 145Mbps depending on the router. 
Always use WPA2-AES (Personal) encryption, but you can try ‘mixed’ mode. 
Disable WPS and never use it and disable UPnP for the routers security. Nobody can hack your system now and helps with wireless connectivity (if you want to know why search the web).
If you have a dual band router (2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz bands), make sure the SSID’s are NOT the same, they must be different for all bands, even for any Guest networks.
SSID broadcast must be enabled.
Save all settings. Power off both, wait 2 mins.  Power on router wait 2 mins. 
Power on the printer and verify it reconnects to the router. 

Let me know if this works!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

No changes are made to the printer or have been made to the printer.

The printer has had a static IP address assigned since it was originally installed.

The Auto-off setting is preset and cannot be configured so how would I turn it off (the EWS page states this).

The printer is connected using the 2.4Ghz Wifi band.

The printer is on the latest firmware.

If the printer was suffering from interference I would expect both scanning and printing to be affected, the issue is that if I was to use the Scan to PC function from the printer it works fine, until the PC is rebooted then whilst the Scan to PC function on the printer works in that it starts some software on the PC the software reports the error originally advised. 

*** IT IS NOT THAT THE PRINTER IS NOT WORKING, IT IS THAT AFTER A REBOOT OF THE PC I HAVE TO REINSTALL THE HP SOFTWARE TO GET SCANNING TO WORK AGAIN, PRINTING STILL WORKS. ***

HP Recommended

@spar1grep, It's great to hear from you again. I was indeed waiting for your response.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

Are you able to make a copy from your printer?

Try running print and scan doctor on your PC and let me know the results.

Refer this article to know how to run print and scan doctor on your PC.

Also, refer this article to further troubleshoot Printer Not Found issues.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a wonderful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

I have performed the Print & Scan Doctor assessment and it reports as follows:

PrintScanDoctorResults.23052017.PNG

Checking the Device Manager the device reports as follows:

DeviceManagerResults.23052017.png

Attempting to update the device driver to fix the issue reports as follows:

UpdateDriveResultDeviceManager.230521017.png

Thus the only option I have available is to remove and reinstall the software to get the scanning functinal again, after removing and reinstalling the software the scanner still shows in the device manager as reporting with a error, however the scanner works until the next reboot.  I cannot have a situation where after every reboot I have to reinstall the HP software so please advise on how this issue can be rectified permentally.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

@spar1grep, It's been great to hear from you again.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

Please try the steps recommended below.

Search Windows for device manager, and then click Device Manager in the list of results.
Click the Right arrow  next to the following entries to expand them, and then look for your printer in each list:
Printers
Print queues
Universal Serial Bus controllers
Other devices
If you see a yellow exclamation mark next to your printer or the phrase Unknown device, continue with the next step.
If you do not see your printer or a yellow exclamation mark in the list, skip to the next step to uninstall the driver.
Right-click the HP device/Unknown device entry or the entry with the symbol, and then click Update Driver Software. The Update Driver Software - Unknown Device wizard opens.
Click Search automatically for updated driver software. Follow the on-screen instructions to refresh the device manager.
Repeat these steps for all device entries with the symbol.
If these steps resolved the issue, you do not need to continue troubleshooting.

Also, uninstall the printer software from root level and install the latest printer drivers.

1. Navigate to Start >Type Devices and Printers in the Search > Select it from the results

2. Highlight your printer object and Right Click

3. Choose Remove Device

4. Highlight something else from the list

5. Click the Print Server Properties button from the toolbar

6. Select the Drivers Tab

7. Highlight the appropriate print driver

8. Click Remove

9. Check the Remove Driver and Driver Package option when prompted

10. Click OK

Please update the printer software using this link.

I'll watch your reply!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

Niether of the steps you have requested have resolved the issue, the first step I had already performed and advised you of the outcome in the original starting message of this thread.  Therefore I performed some furthe investigation, note how on the device manager screenshot both of the imaging devices are reporting as failed, both of these devices had the same error code 19 which lead me to believe the underlying problem is something to do with imaging drivers and not just related to your driver for the HP printer.  I came across the article https://www.raymond.cc/blog/how-to-fix-unable-to-install-scanner-or-imaging-devices-due-to-registry-... which details the possible cause (a previous imaging device which following the removal of the software did not clean up the registry correctly, the only other imaging device that has been installed on this computer was a HP 6400 MFP, but like every 6400 MFP we have had it failed after two years).  I did not have a LowerFilter key but I had a UpperFilter key so I deleted the key, removed the HP 3830 software you have provided me, removed the camera, scanned for hardware changes and the Sony Camera was detected successfully.  I then rebooted, reinstalled the HP 3830 software you provided me and checked the device manager, no error was shown.  Performed a scan successfully, then I rebooted the PC, logged back in, checked the device manager, the HP 3830 was still reporting as OK with now error and then I attempted to perform a scan again.  This time it worked with no issues!!!

Thus the problem has been resolved by following the guidance at https://www.raymond.cc/blog/how-to-fix-unable-to-install-scanner-or-imaging-devices-due-to-registry-..., but instead of deleting the LowerFilter key I deleted the UpperFilter key.

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

@ar1grep, It's been great to hear from you again.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

As you mentioned deleting the upper filter in registry resolved your issue.

I am glad to hear that your issue got resolved.

If you have any queries in future related to any HP products, you can always reach out to us.

We will try our best to help you out.

Take care,            

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.