Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 4650
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Had problems with the original installation (3 months ago) and an HP Support tech had me choose an HP driver that was not for the 4650 and it then worked fine..  A couple days ago, I went through an HP update which seemed to work OK and now the printer doesn't work again (same sort of problem I had with the original install).  Naturally, I didn't write down what driver the tech had me use.  As I recall, it didn't have "Officejet" or "4650" but was something more generic like "810" or somethine like that. 

Help!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

Welcome to HP Support Forum. Firstly, please download an run the following tool:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/printers/hppsdr/HPPSdr.exe

It may fix the problem for you. If not, post back full error message(s).

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

The tool found a driver problem and removed the driver and instructed me to reload the latest - which I did (driver dated 4/24/2017).  Install of that driver went OK but still having the same problem (this was also the problem I had when I first installed the printer).  There are no error codes.  When I print something, I see the doc in the "see what's printing" window for just a split second and then it disappears.  My guess is that Windows thinks it has printed but, in fact, the printer does nothing - no error codes. 

I DO recall when I had this same problem at initial installation, an HP tech instructed me to used a driver other than the 4650 driver but I'll be darned if I can remember what that driver was....

Help!

HP Recommended

Ended up having to chat with tech support.   He ended specifying a different driver (DeskJet6980 if I recall correctly).  It is VERY disappointing that drivers for a specific printer don't work for that printer!  But, at least I am good to go now...  Until the next HP update.....

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.