cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    HP Solution Center Adobe Flash player error

Please check this document to find the workaround solution for Print and Scan - HP Solution Center doesn't open

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    HP Solution Center Adobe Flash player error

Please check this document to find the workaround solution for Print and Scan - HP Solution Center doesn't open

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

OfficeJet 5740 and Windows XP Installation.

HP Recommended

Windows XP SP2 32-Bit

AMD Athlon 64 FX-60

2 GB Ram

Unable to print test pages.

Unable to print a simple text file.  Return error "The handle is invalid"

Installed through wireless network.

My Windows 7 computer sees and prints fine.

Uninstalled, installed through USB.  Same problems on the XP.

Uninstalled software, deleted printers, disconnected printer.  Reboot.  Install drivers from HP's website (2014-09-10 , Version34.2, 179.35M).  Reboot, connected printer through USB, finds printer, everything looks fine.  Still same problem.

Installed "HP Print and Scan Doctor" with no solution.

I have also tried the basic drivers "OJ5740_Basicx86_117.exe" resulting in the same problem.

I have also tried to share the printer from my Windows 7, from the XP computer connect to the shared Win7 printer, but still doesn't work.

Also tried to add the printer using the IP.  It installs, but when trying to print, same problem.

Please help !

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Retired
Retired
15,163 14,989 856 2,166
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Welcome to the forums!

@HP-OJ-5740-ARGH 

I understand your HP Officejet 5740 is not functioning properly, and I'd like to try to help!:)

As I read your post, you mentioned that test pages will not print, which is first concerning as this points out a hardware problem. The hardware issue will need to be dealt with first and resolved before any software troubleshooting can be done.

I would suggest a power reset to start with and then try making a couple of copies after the printer starts back up.

Press the Power button to turn on the product.
With the product turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the product.
Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
Wait at least 15 seconds.
Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the product.
If the product does not turn on by itself, press the Power button to turn it on.

Please let me know if the copies work and we will go from there:)

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
Tags (1)
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry but I have the same problem,with the same configuration(unable to print test page), and the printer works properly with other PC with win 7 or different hardware,

Have you another solution?

PS: I was able to print test page only with the smart doctor utility

Tks

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation